Maria Sharapova's Comments Not Disrespectful Says Sachin Tendulkar
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | July 28, 2014 12:04 PM EST
Hashtag whoismariasharapova was started by angry Indian fans on Twitter after Maria Sharapova, Russia's greatest tennis player admitted that she did not know the famous cricket Indian star, Sachin Tendulkar.
Maria Sharapova of Russia hits a return to compatriot Ksenia Pervak during their women's singles match at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris May 26, 2014.
At Wimbledon, when Maria Sharapova was asked at her post-game press conference about a cricket icon who came to see her play, the tennis superstar said she met David Beckham a couple of times but denies being familiar with Sachin Tendulkar.
"Sachin Tendulkar was the other person who came in at the same time as David. Do you know who Sachin is?" The Russian ace replied, "I don't."
When Maria Sharapova, the five-time Grand Slam champion claimed that she did not know of the India's greatest ever cricketer, Sachin Tendulkar's fans reacted with a mix of outrage and humour on Twitter. Tendulkar's fans created a massive hue and cry after the reports revealed that French Open winner wasn't aware of Tendulkar's name, which resulted in hashtag whoismariasharapova trending worldwide on Twitter.
Despite being a regular visitor at the Royal Box during Wimbledom and a good friend of Roger Federer, Sachin Tendulkar, being a gentleman, told the Indian media that he did not expect Maria Sharapova to know who he was since the tennis superstar did not follow cricket.
"Sharapova's comments were not disrespectful. She doesn't follow cricket," the retired cricket legend said.
Thus far, both parties will already move on as Maria Sharapova has plenty of preparation needed for the U.S. Open, and Sachin Tendulkar can enjoy India's recent success over England in the current Test series.
Meanwhile, at Flushing Meadows, the world no.6 might have the same success as Ishant Sharma and company are having on the field of competition.
Albeit eight years ago, Maria Sharapova has won once before in New York, yet she will be among the favourites this time around.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch