Gina Carano vs. Rhonda Rousey Bleak as Dana White Finds Difficulty in Signing Carano
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 28, 2014 11:58 AM EST
A few weeks ago, UFC President Dana White was confident of pitting Gina Carano against UFC's prized female fighter Rhonda Rousey in December. The latest developments brought him back to earth.
Jul 5, 2014; Las Vegas, NV, USA; Ronda Rousey (red gloves) trades punches with Alexis Davis (blue gloves) during a women's bantamweight title bout at Mandalay Bay Events Center.
ESPN reports that White expressed faith two weeks ago that he will be able to sign crossover star and movie actress Carano when they were about to meet in Los Angeles. During the post-fight press conference for UFC on Fox 12, White was more unsure when asked the question.
"It's complicated," White said per Yahoo! Sports.
The head honcho of the UFC declared that talks are going smoothly but there are some hiccups why Carano is still unattached with the organization. "It's going very positive but it's complicated," he reiterated.
The hiccup in the process might be the growing movie career of Carano. She recently starred in the Fast and the Furious latest installment, Steven Soderbergh's Haywire and John Stockwell's In the Blood.
She was also announced to star in the Avengelyne comic book adaptation by no-less than co-creator Rob Liefield during the 2013 comic book convention in San Diego. Apart from that, the 32-year old Muay Thai fighter is slated to start production in a film entitled "Opium War," directed by Justin Steele.
The shooting schedules and her other commitments may be the stumbling block to a super fight against Rhonda Rousey. Carano expressed interest in a match-up against the reigning UFC bantamweight champion although she may need some extensive training due to rust, not having seen the Octagon since 2009. She will have to gain weight to reach 145 and engage the skilled grappling Rousey.
Carano (7-1) was a pioneer in women's mixed martial arts beign the first female to headline a MMA major main event. Her last fight also ended on a sour note as she lost to "Cyborg" Justino. She was scheduled to return to Strikeforce in 2011 but eventually withdrew citing medical reasons.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop