Gina Carano vs. Rhonda Rousey Bleak as Dana White Finds Difficulty in Signing Carano
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 28, 2014 11:58 AM EST
A few weeks ago, UFC President Dana White was confident of pitting Gina Carano against UFC's prized female fighter Rhonda Rousey in December. The latest developments brought him back to earth.
Jul 5, 2014; Las Vegas, NV, USA; Ronda Rousey (red gloves) trades punches with Alexis Davis (blue gloves) during a women's bantamweight title bout at Mandalay Bay Events Center.
ESPN reports that White expressed faith two weeks ago that he will be able to sign crossover star and movie actress Carano when they were about to meet in Los Angeles. During the post-fight press conference for UFC on Fox 12, White was more unsure when asked the question.
"It's complicated," White said per Yahoo! Sports.
The head honcho of the UFC declared that talks are going smoothly but there are some hiccups why Carano is still unattached with the organization. "It's going very positive but it's complicated," he reiterated.
The hiccup in the process might be the growing movie career of Carano. She recently starred in the Fast and the Furious latest installment, Steven Soderbergh's Haywire and John Stockwell's In the Blood.
She was also announced to star in the Avengelyne comic book adaptation by no-less than co-creator Rob Liefield during the 2013 comic book convention in San Diego. Apart from that, the 32-year old Muay Thai fighter is slated to start production in a film entitled "Opium War," directed by Justin Steele.
The shooting schedules and her other commitments may be the stumbling block to a super fight against Rhonda Rousey. Carano expressed interest in a match-up against the reigning UFC bantamweight champion although she may need some extensive training due to rust, not having seen the Octagon since 2009. She will have to gain weight to reach 145 and engage the skilled grappling Rousey.
Carano (7-1) was a pioneer in women's mixed martial arts beign the first female to headline a MMA major main event. Her last fight also ended on a sour note as she lost to "Cyborg" Justino. She was scheduled to return to Strikeforce in 2011 but eventually withdrew citing medical reasons.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- Serena Williams Shows Off Her Bikini Body With Eva Longoria At The Miami Beach After US Open Victory
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet