Gina Carano vs. Rhonda Rousey Bleak as Dana White Finds Difficulty in Signing Carano
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 28, 2014 11:58 AM EST
A few weeks ago, UFC President Dana White was confident of pitting Gina Carano against UFC's prized female fighter Rhonda Rousey in December. The latest developments brought him back to earth.
Jul 5, 2014; Las Vegas, NV, USA; Ronda Rousey (red gloves) trades punches with Alexis Davis (blue gloves) during a women's bantamweight title bout at Mandalay Bay Events Center.
ESPN reports that White expressed faith two weeks ago that he will be able to sign crossover star and movie actress Carano when they were about to meet in Los Angeles. During the post-fight press conference for UFC on Fox 12, White was more unsure when asked the question.
"It's complicated," White said per Yahoo! Sports.
The head honcho of the UFC declared that talks are going smoothly but there are some hiccups why Carano is still unattached with the organization. "It's going very positive but it's complicated," he reiterated.
The hiccup in the process might be the growing movie career of Carano. She recently starred in the Fast and the Furious latest installment, Steven Soderbergh's Haywire and John Stockwell's In the Blood.
She was also announced to star in the Avengelyne comic book adaptation by no-less than co-creator Rob Liefield during the 2013 comic book convention in San Diego. Apart from that, the 32-year old Muay Thai fighter is slated to start production in a film entitled "Opium War," directed by Justin Steele.
The shooting schedules and her other commitments may be the stumbling block to a super fight against Rhonda Rousey. Carano expressed interest in a match-up against the reigning UFC bantamweight champion although she may need some extensive training due to rust, not having seen the Octagon since 2009. She will have to gain weight to reach 145 and engage the skilled grappling Rousey.
Carano (7-1) was a pioneer in women's mixed martial arts beign the first female to headline a MMA major main event. Her last fight also ended on a sour note as she lost to "Cyborg" Justino. She was scheduled to return to Strikeforce in 2011 but eventually withdrew citing medical reasons.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan