Gina Carano vs. Rhonda Rousey Bleak as Dana White Finds Difficulty in Signing Carano
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 28, 2014 11:58 AM EST
A few weeks ago, UFC President Dana White was confident of pitting Gina Carano against UFC's prized female fighter Rhonda Rousey in December. The latest developments brought him back to earth.
Jul 5, 2014; Las Vegas, NV, USA; Ronda Rousey (red gloves) trades punches with Alexis Davis (blue gloves) during a women's bantamweight title bout at Mandalay Bay Events Center.
ESPN reports that White expressed faith two weeks ago that he will be able to sign crossover star and movie actress Carano when they were about to meet in Los Angeles. During the post-fight press conference for UFC on Fox 12, White was more unsure when asked the question.
"It's complicated," White said per Yahoo! Sports.
The head honcho of the UFC declared that talks are going smoothly but there are some hiccups why Carano is still unattached with the organization. "It's going very positive but it's complicated," he reiterated.
The hiccup in the process might be the growing movie career of Carano. She recently starred in the Fast and the Furious latest installment, Steven Soderbergh's Haywire and John Stockwell's In the Blood.
She was also announced to star in the Avengelyne comic book adaptation by no-less than co-creator Rob Liefield during the 2013 comic book convention in San Diego. Apart from that, the 32-year old Muay Thai fighter is slated to start production in a film entitled "Opium War," directed by Justin Steele.
The shooting schedules and her other commitments may be the stumbling block to a super fight against Rhonda Rousey. Carano expressed interest in a match-up against the reigning UFC bantamweight champion although she may need some extensive training due to rust, not having seen the Octagon since 2009. She will have to gain weight to reach 145 and engage the skilled grappling Rousey.
Carano (7-1) was a pioneer in women's mixed martial arts beign the first female to headline a MMA major main event. Her last fight also ended on a sour note as she lost to "Cyborg" Justino. She was scheduled to return to Strikeforce in 2011 but eventually withdrew citing medical reasons.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Georges St-Pierre Opines Nick Diaz Would Have a Stronger Chance Against Anderson Silva If Fight Goes Longer
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists