Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
By Lou Imperial | July 28, 2014 9:16 AM EST
Maria Sharapova is still one of the hottest tennis players on the WTA tour, but an emerging star is already stealing some of the thunder from her.
Sharapova of Russia reacts to lost point during women's singles semi-final loss to Williams of U.S. at Brisbane International tennis tournament in Brisbane. (Reuters)
In a poll conducted by Tennis Tonic, Eugenie Bouchard has already leapfrogged Sharapova and now checked in at no.2 in the rankings with 23 percent of total votes. Ana Ivanovic is still the hottest female player on tour by garnering 36 percent, while Agnieska Radwanks, who posed naked in ESPN Body two years ago, got 16 percent of the votes.
Sharapova and another European hottie Daniela Hantuchova rounded out the top-5 by getting 8 percent and 7 percent, respectively.
The 20-year old Bouchard is having a successful season on and off the court, appearing in all Grand Slam semifinals so far and getting endorsements deals from multinational companies such as Coca-Cola and Nike.
The Wimbledon Open runner-up has recently appeared on the cover of Elle Quebec, and many analysts believed the Canadian darling is poised to grow her brand in the coming years, as she continues to gain success on the floor.
Coming off her first Grand Slam final, Bouchard heads into the US Open hard-court season with tremendous momentum. She recently withdrew from Citi Open in Washington, but she's expected to play in Montreal for the Rogers Cup.
Meanwhile, Sharapova has been training hard for the upcoming US Open series. The Russian siren will try to have a strong result this time around after missing the 2013 US Open with an injured shoulder. Prior to that, Sharapova had a string of early round eliminations in Flushing Meadows before reaching the semis in the 2012 US Open.
There are speculations the Russian and her boyfriend Grigor Dimitrov will finally play as a pair in the mixed doubles event of the hard-court Grand Slam tournament. Dimitrov, who reached his first Grand Slam semis in Wimbledon, ignited the rumors by wishing to play with her girl in a question and answer session on Twitter.
"If you could play doubles and mixed doubles with any player, who would be your two picks? #askGrigor." As expected, Dimitrov's reply was spontaneous and instant: "I'd play with John McEnroe and @MariaSharapova," via Tennis Earth.
Sharapova recently confirmed her participation in the inaugural Tennis Premier League in November. It was announced that she and Andy Murray are going to play for the Manila Maverick.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28