Arsenal FC Transfer News: Gunners Confirm Signing of Colombia Shot-Stopper
By Mark Wayne Eubank | July 27, 2014 11:25 PM EST
Arsenal confirmed the signing of Colombia shot-stopper David Ospina from French side Nice on the Club's official website.
The 25-year-old six-footer was able to help his national side reach the quarter-finals in the recent World Cup, conceding only three goals in the process.
Colombia's goalkeeper David Ospina fails to stop a goal by Brazil's David Luiz (not pictured) during their 2014 World Cup quarter-finals at the Castelao arena in Fortaleza July 4, 2014.
His performance was apparently enough to convince Arsene Wenger to bring him in to challenge Wojciech Szczesny as Gunners' no. 1.
Though unconfirmed, the north Londoners are suggested to have spent around £4million to secure the services of the former Atletico Nacional man.
"David Ospina will join Arsenal Football Club on a long-term contract for an undisclosed fee," the statement read on Arsenal.com.
"The 25-year-old goalkeeper had an impressive World Cup with Colombia, helping his country to the quarter finals in Brazil with a series of fine displays."
"He arrives at Emirates Stadium from French side Nice, where he made 189 Ligue 1 appearances during a six-year spell."
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics