Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
By Lou Imperial | July 27, 2014 7:28 PM EST
Commonwealth Games 2014 - Athletics competition is about to begin in Glasgow with the mere presence of the world's best sprinter Usain Bolt of Jamaica making the event more electrifying to watch.
Alicia Steer (L) and Gemma MacLean pose on "The Big G" 3-D structure at George Square in Glasgow, Scotland, July 22, 2014. The opening ceremony of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games takes place on July 23.
Bolt, multiple Olympic and World champion and world-record holder in 100 meter and 200 meter, arrived in Glasgow Saturday with the purpose of being part of the games despite suffering an injury earlier in the season.
The 27-year old Jamaican said he doesn't want to take the spots of his teammates at the 100 meter and 200 meter run, but he nevertheless plans to compete at the 4x100 meter run - where the Jamaican men's team still holds the world record.
"I expressed it to my coach and I am happy to be here. I have always wanted to compete in the Games. The first one in Australia (in 2006) I strained my hamstring and in 2010 in India it was in October, which is a bad time for me," Bolt told the press via the Standard UK on Saturday.
"I got injured earlier in this season and I didn't want to take anyone's spot so I decided 'why not just come in the 4x100m?"
Hot Athletics News of the Day
Aside from Bolt's arrival, another news that had the Commonwealth Games buzzing was the dismissal of 400 meter hurdler Rhys Williams of Wales. The reigning European 400 m hurdles champion is the second athlete to be booted out of the games after he tested positive of banned substance.
London Olympics star Gareth Warburton was previously dismissed from the games for reportedly guilty of doping.
What To Watch on Day 1?
Day of the Commonwealth Games features the start of the athletics competition at Hampden Stadium. Four medals at stake for Day 1 of athletics, as long distance runners go for the gold in Men's Marathon, Women's Marathon and Men's 5,000m Final.
Medals are also up for grabs in the women's long jump, while preliminary rounds of the men's 100 meter, men's shot put, women's 100 meter, women's 200 meter, women's hammer throw and women's para-sport longjump will also be held on Sunday.
Schedule, Results and Live Stream Information
For more Commonwealth Games, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James