Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
By Lou Imperial | July 27, 2014 7:28 PM EST
Commonwealth Games 2014 - Athletics competition is about to begin in Glasgow with the mere presence of the world's best sprinter Usain Bolt of Jamaica making the event more electrifying to watch.
Alicia Steer (L) and Gemma MacLean pose on "The Big G" 3-D structure at George Square in Glasgow, Scotland, July 22, 2014. The opening ceremony of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games takes place on July 23.
Bolt, multiple Olympic and World champion and world-record holder in 100 meter and 200 meter, arrived in Glasgow Saturday with the purpose of being part of the games despite suffering an injury earlier in the season.
The 27-year old Jamaican said he doesn't want to take the spots of his teammates at the 100 meter and 200 meter run, but he nevertheless plans to compete at the 4x100 meter run - where the Jamaican men's team still holds the world record.
"I expressed it to my coach and I am happy to be here. I have always wanted to compete in the Games. The first one in Australia (in 2006) I strained my hamstring and in 2010 in India it was in October, which is a bad time for me," Bolt told the press via the Standard UK on Saturday.
"I got injured earlier in this season and I didn't want to take anyone's spot so I decided 'why not just come in the 4x100m?"
Hot Athletics News of the Day
Aside from Bolt's arrival, another news that had the Commonwealth Games buzzing was the dismissal of 400 meter hurdler Rhys Williams of Wales. The reigning European 400 m hurdles champion is the second athlete to be booted out of the games after he tested positive of banned substance.
London Olympics star Gareth Warburton was previously dismissed from the games for reportedly guilty of doping.
What To Watch on Day 1?
Day of the Commonwealth Games features the start of the athletics competition at Hampden Stadium. Four medals at stake for Day 1 of athletics, as long distance runners go for the gold in Men's Marathon, Women's Marathon and Men's 5,000m Final.
Medals are also up for grabs in the women's long jump, while preliminary rounds of the men's 100 meter, men's shot put, women's 100 meter, women's 200 meter, women's hammer throw and women's para-sport longjump will also be held on Sunday.
Schedule, Results and Live Stream Information
For more Commonwealth Games, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- WWE News: CM Punk Merchandise Pulled From Stands, Punk Chasing Royalties For WWE 2K15 Inclusion [VIDEO]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4