Boxing Results 2014: Australian Daniel Geale Falls to Gennady Golovkin in Just 3 Rounds
By James Patrick Quizon | July 27, 2014 7:26 PM EST
In what was Daniel Geale’s biggest fight of his career, the Australian came up way short when he fell to Gennady Golovkin of Kazakhstan in just three rounds at the Madison Square Garden in New York on Sunday.
It was an embarrassing end for Geale, who was dropped in the second round before suffering another knockout in the third round. The last one for good as the referee ceased the humiliation to give the Kazakh the technical knockout (TKO) victory.
With the win, Golovkin, or popularly known as “GGG”, retained his World Boxing Association (WBA) and International Boxing Organization (IBO) middleweight title and remained undefeated in 30 bouts, an impressive 27 not going to the distance. Geale dropped to 30-3-0.
"Daniel Geale is a champion and gave his best," said a humble Golovkin after the fight.
Geale’s best just wasn’t up to par with one of the world’s best middleweight fighters.
Golovkin’s stock will definitely rise after the convincing victory and his pound-for-pound rankings is also expected to improve. Other top contenders in the middleweight division are Miguel Cotto (Puerto Rico), Peter Quillin (USA), Sergio Martinez (Argentina) and Sam Soliman (Australia).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar