Google Nexus 6 on Release Date is a Motorola-Built 5.9-Inch Phablet with Android L & Fingerprint Sensor – Reports
By Erik Pineda | July 27, 2014 10:37 AM EST
Screenshot from YouTube Video
Concept video of Nexus 6, uploaded on YouTube by CTNtechnologynews.
The 5.9-inch mobile phone, of course, will run on Android L and will boast of a fingerprint reader as among its killer features, according to Android Police. The device bears the codename Shamu and is slated to launch in the United States and some select markets around the world, added the same report.
There was no mention, however, on when the upcoming Nexus will touch down as Android Police explained that details about the device are scarce at the moment.
The most solid evidence that refers to the next Nexus is a screenshot that detailed a supposed Android L bug and within the entries Shamu and Volantis can gleaned. Recall that Volantis is being connected for some months now to the rumored Nexus 8/9 that HTC will reportedly build.
"Besides the fact that our information mentions Volantis and Shamu in tandem when referring to Android's L release, the device is currently running a Google-built kernel," Android Police said on its report.
However, the Android-focused blog site clarified too that nothing is written in stone on the matter - there is no assurance that the Motorola Shamu would materialise soon nor it will become Google's super mysterious Nexus 6, the report stressed.
Going phablet for its next Nexus though seems to make sense for Google as the device will have to deal with giant rivals once it is out of the box. Most notable names to tussle with are the Galaxy Note 4 from Samsung that likely will retain its predecessor's 5.7-inch screen and the bigger iPhone 6 that analysts tipped to flash a 5.5-inch display panel.
It could be that Google is taking into note the supposedly rising trend that hybrid or supersized smartphones will rule the mobile device market in the years ahead so a massive Nexus 6 represents the company's wise preparation for the future.
Release date of the Nexus 6, regardless of its form-factor and manufacturer, is projected by Android watchers to happen between October and November 2014, packed with the major makeover that is the Android L plus the anticipated power specs and killer features.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes