Update Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat Using Mackay Custom ROM
By Ryan Inoyori | July 27, 2014 9:18 AM EST
Mackay ROM Android 4.4.4 for Galaxy S
Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 is upgradable to Android 4.4.4 KitKat using Mackay custom ROM based on CyanogenMod sources. Here are the changes provided by the custom firmware for Galaxy S:
- Optimised cortex-A8 processor
- Better RAM management
- Updated kernel
- Lag free governors
- Various improvements
- CM 11 code base as of July 5
- CM account added
1. Use this firmware to the Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 smartphone only.
2. Create a manual backup of all personal files and settings stored on the phone.
3. Make sure that the battery life is at least 50 per cent.
4. Enable USB debugging mode. Go to Settings > Application > Development > USB debugging.
5. Download and install the necessary USB drivers on the computer for Galaxy S.
6. Root the Galaxy S and install a custom recovery such as ClockworkMod or TWRP.
Warning: We are not responsible for any error or damage which may occur on the device. Read and follow the instructions to avoid any issue. Do this at your own risk.
1. Connect the Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 to your computer using a USB cable.
2. Copy and paste the Mackay ROM 4.4.4 firmware and Google Apps package to the microSD card of the device. Do not extract the zip files.
3. Disconnect the smartphone from the computer then switch it off.
4. Reboot into recovery mode by pressing and holding the volume up, home and power keys at the same time.
5. Inside the recovery mode, create a nAndroid backup of the current ROM. Select 'backup and restore > backup.' It will be saved on the SD card which can used to revert to the old ROM.
6. Perform a full wipe by selecting 'wipe data/factory reset' and 'wipe cache partition' then select 'advanced > wipe Dalvik cache.'
7. Install the Mackay ROM by selecting 'install zip from SD card > choose zip from SD card > find the Mackay ROM 4.4.4 > confirm installation.' Apple the same with the Google Apps package.
8. Once the installation has been completed, go back to the main menu and select 'reboot system now.'
9. The device will reboot and may take up to five minutes before reaching the home screen.
For any errors or issues, please send your feedback to Mackay ROM official XDA forum thread.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'Destiny' vs. 'Titanfall': New Legendary Gears Spotted And Update 8 Features Detailed
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28