Update Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat Using Mackay Custom ROM
By Ryan Inoyori | July 27, 2014 9:18 AM EST
Mackay ROM Android 4.4.4 for Galaxy S
Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 is upgradable to Android 4.4.4 KitKat using Mackay custom ROM based on CyanogenMod sources. Here are the changes provided by the custom firmware for Galaxy S:
- Optimised cortex-A8 processor
- Better RAM management
- Updated kernel
- Lag free governors
- Various improvements
- CM 11 code base as of July 5
- CM account added
1. Use this firmware to the Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 smartphone only.
2. Create a manual backup of all personal files and settings stored on the phone.
3. Make sure that the battery life is at least 50 per cent.
4. Enable USB debugging mode. Go to Settings > Application > Development > USB debugging.
5. Download and install the necessary USB drivers on the computer for Galaxy S.
6. Root the Galaxy S and install a custom recovery such as ClockworkMod or TWRP.
Warning: We are not responsible for any error or damage which may occur on the device. Read and follow the instructions to avoid any issue. Do this at your own risk.
1. Connect the Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 to your computer using a USB cable.
2. Copy and paste the Mackay ROM 4.4.4 firmware and Google Apps package to the microSD card of the device. Do not extract the zip files.
3. Disconnect the smartphone from the computer then switch it off.
4. Reboot into recovery mode by pressing and holding the volume up, home and power keys at the same time.
5. Inside the recovery mode, create a nAndroid backup of the current ROM. Select 'backup and restore > backup.' It will be saved on the SD card which can used to revert to the old ROM.
6. Perform a full wipe by selecting 'wipe data/factory reset' and 'wipe cache partition' then select 'advanced > wipe Dalvik cache.'
7. Install the Mackay ROM by selecting 'install zip from SD card > choose zip from SD card > find the Mackay ROM 4.4.4 > confirm installation.' Apple the same with the Google Apps package.
8. Once the installation has been completed, go back to the main menu and select 'reboot system now.'
9. The device will reboot and may take up to five minutes before reaching the home screen.
For any errors or issues, please send your feedback to Mackay ROM official XDA forum thread.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Nokia Lumia 635: Microsoft Drops AT&T Smartphone's Price For 2014 Black Friday Sale
- Google’s Mobile Search To Lessen Stress Of Black Friday Shopping
- ‘Destiny’ Dev Holds Own Black Friday 2014 Sale As More The Dark Below Details Get Revealed
- Apple’s Black Friday Sale Versus Other Retailers
- ‘GTA V' Title Update 1.04, Black Friday Sale And Heists DLC Release In December Possible
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones