Update Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat Using Mackay Custom ROM
By Ryan Inoyori | July 27, 2014 9:18 AM EST
Mackay ROM Android 4.4.4 for Galaxy S
Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 is upgradable to Android 4.4.4 KitKat using Mackay custom ROM based on CyanogenMod sources. Here are the changes provided by the custom firmware for Galaxy S:
- Optimised cortex-A8 processor
- Better RAM management
- Updated kernel
- Lag free governors
- Various improvements
- CM 11 code base as of July 5
- CM account added
1. Use this firmware to the Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 smartphone only.
2. Create a manual backup of all personal files and settings stored on the phone.
3. Make sure that the battery life is at least 50 per cent.
4. Enable USB debugging mode. Go to Settings > Application > Development > USB debugging.
5. Download and install the necessary USB drivers on the computer for Galaxy S.
6. Root the Galaxy S and install a custom recovery such as ClockworkMod or TWRP.
Warning: We are not responsible for any error or damage which may occur on the device. Read and follow the instructions to avoid any issue. Do this at your own risk.
1. Connect the Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 to your computer using a USB cable.
2. Copy and paste the Mackay ROM 4.4.4 firmware and Google Apps package to the microSD card of the device. Do not extract the zip files.
3. Disconnect the smartphone from the computer then switch it off.
4. Reboot into recovery mode by pressing and holding the volume up, home and power keys at the same time.
5. Inside the recovery mode, create a nAndroid backup of the current ROM. Select 'backup and restore > backup.' It will be saved on the SD card which can used to revert to the old ROM.
6. Perform a full wipe by selecting 'wipe data/factory reset' and 'wipe cache partition' then select 'advanced > wipe Dalvik cache.'
7. Install the Mackay ROM by selecting 'install zip from SD card > choose zip from SD card > find the Mackay ROM 4.4.4 > confirm installation.' Apple the same with the Google Apps package.
8. Once the installation has been completed, go back to the main menu and select 'reboot system now.'
9. The device will reboot and may take up to five minutes before reaching the home screen.
For any errors or issues, please send your feedback to Mackay ROM official XDA forum thread.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- New Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Released, Verizon Guide and Installation
- 'World Of Warcraft Warlords Of Draenor' Players Can Get The Free Character Boost Now And Still Upgrade To The Collector's Edition On Nov. 13, 2014, Plus The Horde Chopper Mount Will Only Be Available Until Sept. 30, 2014 [WATCH VIDEO]