Sons of Anarchy Charlie Hunnam Heartbroken about Walking Away from Fifty Shades of Grey [VIDEO]
By Riza Ornos | July 27, 2014 12:09 AM EST
Replaced by model-turned actor Jamie Dornan as Christian Grey, Charlie Hunnam recently revealed that he was heartbroken about walking away from "Fifty Shades of Grey" role. Despite his hotly anticipated casting, the British hunk walked away from the role in the film adaptation of E.L. James BDSM series due to his conflicting schedules with his TV show and upcoming movies.
Cast member Charlie Hunnam speaks at a panel for the television series ''Sons of Anarchy'' during the FX portion of the Television Critics Association Summer press tour in Beverly Hills, California August 2, 2013.
Currently on his seventh and final season with FX "Sons of Anarchy," Hunnam dropped the kinky role because of the hit biker drama series and his second team up with "Pacific Rim" director Guillermo del Toro for the 2015 upcoming movie "Crimson Peak." The actor spoke ahead of the release of "Fifty Shades of Grey" first official trailer which premiere on Thursday, July 24.
"I'm just really excited to see it. I was just really, really invested and wanted to work with (director) Sam (Taylor-Johnson) and play that character. I'm really, really curious," the 34-year-old actor revealed at a Fox TCA press conference on Monday, July 21. "I don't think people have had unchaperoned access to me since all of this went on. The CliffsNotes were exactly what we said. I couldn't do it because of (the) schedule. It was as simple as that."
The blond actor also praised James and spoke out against critics who described the book series as "Mommy porn." "I think people really do that book a disservice when they reduce it to that type of talk. What (E.L. James) actually created is a really sophisticated dynamic and presented it in a package which was accessible to people who normally would be terrified of that subject... Actually what she did was pretty brilliant," he added.
To give fans a taste of what "Fifty Shades of Grey" would look like if Charlie Hunnam played the role of the BDSM-loving businessman, The Wrap assembled an alternate trailer of the movie. The short teaser was titled "Fifty Shades of Hunnam" featuring a series of sexy scenes of the actor.
Although he is heartbroken for dropping the role, the rugged star did not regret his decision as he is committed to do the Mexican director's film and could not miss it in the world. After filming del Toro period thriller in the first quarter of the year, Hunnam is prepping for another reunion with the director for the upcoming "Pacific Rim" sequel.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- Kristen Stewart ‘Not In Love’ With ‘Equals’ Co-star Nicholas Hoult -- Reports
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar