Australia's Golden Run Continues in the Commonwealth Games 2014
By Mohammad Sohaib | July 26, 2014 10:34 PM EST
Just as the Queen Elizabeth smiled in a twitter melting selfie, God was smiling up somewhere on the Australian teams. On a record breaking first day of the Commonwealth Games, which was launched with a jaw dropping opening ceremony at Glasgow, Australia won 5 gold medals.
Australia's Anna Meares holds her gold medal after winning the women's 500m time trial at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland, July 24, 2014. REUTERS/Andrew Winning
Anna Meares was the star of the day when she defeated Jess Varnish to become the most successful female track cyclist at the Commonwealth Games and grab the first gold for the Aussies. She edged past her childhood inspiration Kathy Watt's 4 medals after ending up 1st on the list of 500 meters individual trial. "I am very proud and I think Kathy would be very proud as well," Moores said. "She was the lady who introduced me to cycling through the TV, watching the Commonwealth Games, and to be here and to do that is an honor."
This was just the start the Kangaroos had dreamt of. Meares was followed by the four big Aussie boys, who cycled their way to a win over the Englishmen. This famous victory was not predicted by the pundits and came as a surprise to many. Moreover, the Australians were exemplary in their response as they were fast out of the blocks and set a new record at the games. The two countries have a famous rivalry when it comes to cricket, however Commonwealth Games are starting to give the taste of the Ashes all over again. England, at the end of the first day, is 2 ahead on the medal list.
Having done enough at paddling cycles, the Kangaroos won the waters comprehensively. Cate Campbell along with her fellow participant clinched a world record performance in free style Relay, here at Glasgow. The golden girls turned triumphed after Emma McKeon grabbed the first gold for the country in swimming adding to an already handsome tally.
Glasgow saw Australian victories in Hockey and Badminton as well. As the tournament progresses, we will have to wait and watch where the silent Ashes ends.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Mayweather Jr. Responds To 2015 Super Fight Talks; American Bashes Pacquiao With Social Media Video Post of Marquez's KO
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones