Chelsea FC Transfer News: Man Utd Signing Might have Caused Disaster to the Blues, Says Manager
By Mark Wayne Eubank | July 26, 2014 10:04 PM EST
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho opined that Manchester United signing Luke Shaw was too expensive for the west Londoners, in the sense that the supposed acquisition price and wages might have been unfair to veterans who have already proven themselves in the squad.
Jul 22, 2014; Pasadena, CA, USA; Manchester United midfielder Ander Herrera, head coach Louis Van Gaal and defender Luke Shaw talk to the media during a press conference a day before the game against the Los Angeles Galaxy at the Rose Bowl.
"If we pay to a 19-year-old boy what we were being asked for, to sign Luke Shaw, we are dead," said the Portuguese mentor.
"We would have killed our stability with financial fair play and killed the stability in our dressing room, because when you pay that much to a 19-year-old kid - a good player, fantastic player - but when you pay that amount of money, the next day, we would have had players knocking on our door."
The Saints Academy graduate moved to Old Trafford this month for a reported transfer fee of £33million and will be receiving £100,000-a-week for the next four seasons.
"They would have been saying, 'How is it possible I play 200 games for this club, won this and that, yet a 19-year-old comes here and gets more money than I get?" He added.
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2