Moto G Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update: How to and When to Hit Your Region
By Precious Silva | July 26, 2014 9:39 PM EST
Moto G users will be pleased to know that the Android 4.4.4 KitKat update for their devices has started rolling out. Specifically, the Android 4.4.4 KitKat update is available for the Google Play Store edition of the device. The firmware seeks to address a range of bug problems including those related to OpenSSL problems. The OTA update should start seeding to a number of Verizon users. Other carriers and regions should follow suit.
Sundar Pinchai, Google's senior vice president of Android, Chrome and Apps, speaks during his keynote address at the Google I/O developers conference in San Francisco, June 25, 2014
The Android 4.4.2 KitKat update is initially available for Moto G Verizon subscribers. Similar to other rollouts, users under other carriers may expect the firmware soon on their devices as well. Motorola confirmed previously that its Moto X and Moto G line will be receiving the Android L. The Android 4.4.4 appears to be in preparation of Google's upcoming update.
Previously, reports noted that Motorola may be offering the Android 4.4.2 KitKat update for the LTE version of the device as well. However, Verizon does not have the LTE version. According to the Droid Life, the Moto G has been a successful venture for Motorola. In fact, Rick Osterloh, senior vice president of Motorola for product management, confirmed that the Moto remains the company's bestselling handset. The company did not provide exact figures about its sales according to GSM Arena.
The Android 4.4.2 KitKat update for Moto G offers the following:
- Power profile accuracy improvements
- Security fixes particularly those related to OpenSSL
- Framework and stability fixes
- Additional viewfinder functions such as pause video recording plus convenient pause/resume function
- Enhanced Phone dialer
- New Motorola Alert application
Users can also download from the Google Play Store. Verizon users can wait for the notification. Tap on the notification to begin installation. There will be on-screen instructions provided. For those without notification, they can check for the update manually. To do this, go to Settings > About phone > System updates. Choose "Download."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks