Commonwealth Games Live Stream: Sevens Rugby Group Stages - Australia, New Zealand, Canada
By Lou Imperial | July 26, 2014 8:41 PM EST
Commonwealth Games - the Sevens Rugby competition is about to kick off on Saturday with favorites New Zealand, England, South Africa and Australia raring to dive into the competition at Ibrox Stadium in Glasgow, Scotland.
Alicia Steer (L) and Gemma MacLean pose on "The Big G" 3-D structure at George Square in Glasgow, Scotland, July 22, 2014. The opening ceremony of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games takes place on July 23.
New Zealand is all pumped up to defend their title and sustain their dominance in sevens rugby competition at the 2014 Commonwealth Games, but rivals (Australia, South Africa and England) and darkhorses (Scotland, Canada and Samoa) will be there to make the road to the crown tougher than ever.
For the Kiwis, the Commonwealth Games is just a platform to prove they still dominate the sport, as sevens rugby debuts at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics in 2016. Still, New Zealand sevens rugby head coach Sir Gordon Tietjens believed players interested to play at Rio must make sacrifices by regularly competing at the World Series.
"There will be some new players, perhaps from the All Blacks. But once they have indicated their availability for Rio they will have to put the All Blacks aside and play in World Series competitions. If they want a crack at the Olympics they will have to prove they are good enough," Tietjens told the Telegraph.
They've Got Competition
The quest for fifth Commonwealth Games gold won't be a walk in the park for the kiwis as eight other teams in the IRB's annual world series will also compete in the tournament. Canada, South Africa, Scotland, Wales, Kenya, England, Samoa and Australia will also test their mettle for two action-packed days with three glittering medals at stake.
With a star-studded field, International Rugby Board Chairman Bernard Lapasset is looking for top-notch sevens rugby games, rewriting history anew at the legendary Ibrox stadium.
"With Ibrox the stage for some of the biggest names in Rugby Sevens to showcase their talent, Glasgow 2014 has all the ingredients to write another unforgettable chapter in the Commonwealth Games Rugby Sevens success story. I am sure it will be a spectacular event," Lapasset told IRB.
Live Stream Information
New Zealand vs. Canada will kick off the tourney at 10:32 p.m (BST), while New Zealand takes on host nation Scotland at 1:56 p.m (BST). Later in the day, a mouthwatering clash between England and Australia will take place at 9:48 p.m (BST). After a day of group-stages games, the top-two teams from each pool (four groups) will head into the second days for the knockout stages.
Sevens Rugby group stages live stream is available on Youtube (below), while results and schedule is available on Glasgow 2014 official site.
(Glasgow 2014/ Youtube)
For more Sevens Rugby and Commonwealth Games update, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Fight Won't Happen As Long As Bob Arum Is Involved, Says Pacquiao's Former Conditioning Coach
- WWE News: CM Punk Merchandise Pulled From Stands, Punk Chasing Royalties For WWE 2K15 Inclusion [VIDEO]
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed