Los Angeles Lakers Heeds Kobe Bryant’s Wish, Offers Head Coaching Gig to Byron Scott
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 26, 2014 8:10 PM EST
What Kobe Bryant wants, well, the Los Angeles Lakers, sorts of considers.
USA Today reports that the storied franchise from Tinseltown is offering the vacant head coaching job to former member of the Showtime Lakers Byron Scott. This development comes after a two-month evaluation period during which superstar Kobe Bryant chimed in on the possibility of bringing in Scott and his expansive resume.
Scott is beloved in the Lakers franchise after being part of the run and gun Lakers in the 1980s. Since then the former player, developed his coaching skills with then New Jersey Nets, then New Orleans Hornets and the Cleveland Cavaliers. He had moderate success in his early years of mentorship, guiding the Nets to two consecutive Finals appearance as the team was led by Jason Kidd. He also developed a good bond with Chris Paul but limited p[layoff success ended that partnership which is the same thing that can be said with his Cavaliers stint.
As early as July 9th, Kobe Bryant has already chimed in on the possibility of bringing in Scott to lead the franchise back to respectability. This is after the failed experiments with Mike Brown and Mike D'Antoni who were handed rosters that either succumbed to injury or failed to compete in the deep Western Conference. The Black Mamba is onboard with the prospect of Scott.
"He was my rookie mentor ... We've had a tremendously close relationship throughout the years," Bryant declared during the press conference for his basketball camp in Santa Barbara last July 9th.
Scott, who has already coached a total of 13 years, will have his plate full with the departure of star center/forward Pau Gasol to Bulls. He has an assortment of players to work in and build chemistry. The Lakers have a plethora of big bodies in Jordan Hill, Carlos Boozer, Ed Davis and Julius Randle. Though they were able to snatch Jeremy Lin, the uncertainty of the health of Steve Nash would leave the Lakers thin at the point guard spot. And of course, everyone is speculating on what level of comfort and effectiveness can the best Laker ever provide in his comeback from the Achilles injury.
Despite all these, what is paramount is that the alpha male of the team is looking the same way as management in eyeing Byron Scott as the man for the job.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Mayweather Jr. Responds To 2015 Super Fight Talks; American Bashes Pacquiao With Social Media Video Post of Marquez's KO
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones