Roger Federer Brings Danger To Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal at US Open
By Lou Imperial | July 26, 2014 8:09 PM EST
Roger Federer enters the North American hard court season with the same attitude he had in the past tournaments this year. The Swiss Maestro has been playing with a 'chip on his shoulder,' playing the role as a spoiler to favourites Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic.
Roger Federer of Switzerland celebrates after breaking serve against Novak Djokovic of Serbia during his men's singles finals tennis match on Centre Court at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London July 6, 2014.
Tennis pundit David Cook of Give Me Sports pointed out in his latest column about Federer's current role at this stage of his career. With years of dominance behind him, the Swiss is playing with more aggression and nothing-to-lose mindset as of late, and that apparently makes him the most dangerous man in men's tennis.
"There is not the same sign of pressure when the Swiss steps out onto court, which is a result of the fact that he has not won a Grand Slam in over two years, and he can now afford to let the likes of Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray worry about a "favourites tag" going into the biggest tournaments," according to the analyst.
There's no doubt the 32-year old Federer will try his best to win another slam in the next two to three years. However, the spotlight isn't on him anymore. Thus, he plays with less pressure and more angst to prove that he can still compete at the highest level.
For Cook, Federer's failure to win a sixth US Open crown this year won't translate to a letdown, because his mission is to give the road tougher for younger rivals to add another Grand Slam to their trophy cases.
"You could go as far as to say that he is under less pressure than any of the other players in the top ten, who are either still expected to win at the top level or who have not yet had the experience of reaching the top level," Cook said.
A pressure-less Federer will always be dangerous. He proves this in his 2014 Wimbledon Open campaign when he demolished the competition until bowing out gallantly to Djokovic in a five-set final showdown. Many thought Federer was the favourite against Djokovic in that match, but the Serb had significant edge on the conditioning area. And it was indeed Federer's Achilles heel when the match went into distance.
Yes, it's a foolish to count out Federer in this upcoming US Open. Nadal and Djokovic are indeed the top contenders, though the Swiss could still pull off something from his bag of trick. For the rest of men's tennis, danger time is coming in Flushing Meadows.
For more Roger Federer and Tennis news, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports