HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Breakdown for Developer and Unlocked Version
By Ryan Inoyori | July 26, 2014 5:55 PM EST
HTC One M8 Developer Edition and unlocked version are now receiving the official Android 4.4.3 KitKat with HTC Sense 6.0 UI. Know the features and changes provided by HTC to users of the latest HTC One smartphone.
Android 4.4.4 KitKat Security Enhancement
Instead of releasing an Android 4.4.4 KitKat for HTC One M8, the company decided to include the security enhancements from Google to the Android 4.4.3 KitKat firmware. According to Mo Versi, security fixes found on Android 4.4.4 is available on the Android 4.4.3 KitKat.
— Mo (@moversi) July 15, 2014
This means that users won't have to worry about the OpenSSL security flaw related to Heartbleed bug on the Android 4.4.3 KitKat update of HTC One M8. Build Version and File Size Twitter user @jetleigh posted the build version and file size of the Android 4.4.3 KitKat firmware update for HTC One M8 unlocked version. Android 4.4.3 KitKat update has the build version 2.22.1540.3 and file size of 592.17 MB that hint users to free some space before updating the device.
Android 4.4.3 update available now on #HTCOneM8 unlocked devices! pic.twitter.com/47t6XbQsUd — Leigh Momii (@jetleigh) July 24, 2014
HTC Sense 6.0 Changes
By default, the Android 4.4.3 KitKat mainly features enhancements and bugs fixes from Google but the update contains more on HTC Sense 6.0 UI.
1. Colour coding on HTC apps for easier navigation.
2. Personalisation options added by using themes.
3. HTC BlinkFeed improvements such as smoother scrolling experience, new intuitive interface, enhanced sidebar and nearby restaurant recommendations.
4. Three preinstalled fonts and option to download more via Google Play Store.
5. Camera app has been updated with a new easier design and quick access to different camera modes.
6. HTC Zoe updates using 3-in-1 camera solutions:
a. Quickly tap the shutter button to take a photo.
b. Hold the shutter button for up to three seconds to take a Zoe (up to three seconds of video plus burst shots).
c. Hold the shutter button for three or more seconds to switch to video mode. The first three seconds of the video will also capture the Zoe experience video plus burst shots).
7. Gallery app improvements for easy to use interface:
a. Image match to find photos faster and easier.
b. Point of Interest locations in Map View.
8. Redesigned apps tray for quicker access to customisation options.
9. HTC Sense TV with redesigned user interface, live sports scores and stats, and social media integration.
10. Other essential updates include enhanced music app with stunning themes, add schedule function to set specific time and event in Do Not Disturb Mode, and improved email, message, calendar and phone apps.
Android 4.4.3 KitKat update for HTC One Developer Edition and unlocked version is now live via Over the Air update process accessed through the device's setting.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- New iPhone 7 Display Possibly in the Works as Foxconn Builds New Display Factory Exclusive to Apple
- Apple iPhone 7 Release Roundup: Release Date, Liquidmetal and New Design Technology
- Apple Moves to Sapphire but Corning Makes Tougher Gorilla Glass