NBA News: LeBron James Targets $202 Million Deal With Cavs in 2016
By Lou Imperial | July 26, 2014 5:53 PM EST
LeBron James' next contract could go as high as $202 million deal over five years, once a new TV deal has been agreed upon, Sheridan Hoops editor-in-chief Chris Sheridan claimed in his latest column.
Brooklyn Nets forward Paul Pierce defends against Miami Heat forward LeBron James in the second half in game four of the second round of the 2014 NBA Playoffs in New York in this file photo taken May 12, 2014. LeBron James is going home by signing with the NBA's Cleveland Cavaliers, he said in an article in Sports Illustrated on Friday.
Sheridan, who has been a long-time NBA analyst for multiple sites, believed James could benefit a lot financially from the upcoming TV deal because players' salaries will significantly rise. NBA players could double the amount of their contract, if the NBA is able to get three TV partners (ESPN, Fox Sports and Turner Sports).
"If the money paid by ESPN, Turner Sports and Fox Sports (yes, they NBA could have three TV partners instead of the current two, following the trail blazed by the NFL) is double what is being paid under the current deal, the salary cap will rise accordingly," Sheridan claimed.
James' decision to go back to Cleveland is not a pure basketball decision alone. He also looks into the possibility of getting the most money than any other NBA player by signing a cleverly-structured contract with the Cavs.
According to ESPN, the four-time NBA MVP signed a two-year, $42.1 million contract (opt-out option in second year) with the goal of re-signing a new deal with the Cavs in 2016. If the new TV deal is eventually approved, James' salary could increase as much as $202 million in his next contract.
"If, for argument's sake, if the salary cap rises to $100 million, James would be eligible for a new contract with a maximum salary of 35 percent of the cap," Sheridan stated. "With 7.5 percent annual raises, James would be eligible for a new five-year contract with salaries of $35 million in Year 1, then $37,626,000, $40,250,000, $42,875,000, $47,550,000.
"That adds up to $201.5 million."
The 29-year old James spent four seasons with the Miami Heat, helping the team reach the NBA Finals four consecutive times and winning two championships in the process. James has been dominant individually for his team, but hasn't received a max salary more than three times in his career.
Now, he wished to have a sense of financial security moving forward. The four-time NBA MVP has been expressing his desire to have a contract as lucrative as other MLB stars like Detroit Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera, who signed an eight-year, $248 million extension last year.
For more LeBron James and NBA rumors, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers