Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Re-Sign Club Legend Didier Drogba
By Mark Wayne Eubank | July 26, 2014 4:10 AM EST
Jose Mourinho's inclination of mixing wisdom with youth, experience with energy, is slowly becoming apparent, as Chelsea signs another "elder statesman" in club legend Didier Drogba.
It can be recalled that the Portuguese mentor also made a similar move last summer, when he brought in the 33-year-old Samuel Eto'o. The said move somehow paid off as the Cameroonian was able to deliver crucial and impact goals when called upon.
Didier Drogba rejoins John Terry at Chelsea
This time, however, the Special One will be relying on the 36-year-old Drogba, who definitely lost a lot of pace throughout the years, but still has enough to come off the bench and provide a needed spark with his strong physique and veteran smarts.
In any case, the former Marseille man is just happy to be back to the club that's closest to his heart, penning a one-year deal with the west London outfit.
"It was an easy decision - I couldn't turn down the opportunity to work with Jose again. Everyone knows the special relationship I have with this club and it has always felt like home to me," the Ivorian told Chelseafc.com.
"My desire to win is still the same and I look forward to the opportunity to help this team. I am excited for this next chapter of my career."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr On Manny Pacquiao: 'He Must Know He's Not Going To Win
- For Mayweather, The Prize Comes First, Not The Fans
- Serena Williams On Caroline Wozniacki’s Friendship:’I Have Had A Love For Caroline From The Day I Met Her’
- NBA Trade Discussions ‘Tremendous’; 10 Teams Including Rockets, Clippers and Hornets Active For Probable Deals—NBA Insider
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Signs Using Odom’s Surname; Source Reveals Khloe Still ‘Proud’ Of Being Called Mrs. Odom