Chris Algieri Can Shock Manny Pacquiao With Main Weapon - Joe DeGuardia
By Lou Imperial | July 26, 2014 2:24 AM EST
Manny Pacquiao's opponent is oozing with confidence in his first major fight, as the promoter of American fighter Chris Algieri believes his ward's jabs and tactical approach will make the difference in his upcoming battle with the reigning WBO Welterweight champion.
Apr 12, 2014; Las Vegas, NV, USA; Manny Pacquiao celebrates his victory over Timothy Bradley (not pictured) after their WBO World Welterweight Title bout at MGM Grand Garden Arena. Pacquiao won via unanimous decision. Mandatory Credit: Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports
The 30-year old Algieri will his a big paycheck in his next appearance in the ring after being picked as the November opponent of the eight-division world champion. The former kickboxer's name first emerged as a contender for Pacman after beating Siberian Rocky Ruslan Provodnikov via split decision in a brutal 12-round bout that saw him floored twice in the first round.
Veteran boxing promoter Joe DeGuardia believed his ward has a shot at pulling off an upset against Pacquiao because of his more tactical approach. He added that Algieri's solid jabs are going to be a factor against the former pound-for-pound king.
Well now for this particular fight, sure it pays good money the Pacquiao fight - but the reality is I'm also taking this fight because of the opportunity it provides and I like the way he stacks up against Manny. It's a great opportunity for him. I feel comfortable putting him in the fight and I think he's going to win," DeGuardia told BoxingScene.com
DeGuardia also revealed that he knew the huge opportunity in store in the fight against Provodnikov, saying the win over the Russian certainly opened the floodgates of opportunity for him.
"I took the Provodnikov fight for one reason and one reason alone - I knew that Chris stacked up pretty well against him and I also knew about the opportunity it provided," the promoter told Boxing Scene.
It's All in the Jab
According to the promoter, Algieri's secret weapon will mess up Pacquiao's game plan at fight night. He thinks a fighter possessing a good jab can control a fight always, neutralizing speed and power of his opponent. DeGuardia believed it's going to be the biggest advantage Algieri will have against Pacquiao, who hasn't scored a knockout victory since Miguel Cotto in 2009.
Pacquiao, who will reportedly earn at least $20 million, will be staking his WBO Welterweight championship belt in the fight. Meanwhile, Algieri will risk his undefeated record of 20 wins with 8 Kos, but he's set to pocket the richest paycheck in his career at $1 million.
For more Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri news, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Novak Djokovic Stars In A New Commercial For Gerble Sans Gluten et Sans Souci
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet