Chris Algieri Can Shock Manny Pacquiao With Main Weapon - Joe DeGuardia
By Lou Imperial | July 26, 2014 2:24 AM EST
Manny Pacquiao's opponent is oozing with confidence in his first major fight, as the promoter of American fighter Chris Algieri believes his ward's jabs and tactical approach will make the difference in his upcoming battle with the reigning WBO Welterweight champion.
Apr 12, 2014; Las Vegas, NV, USA; Manny Pacquiao celebrates his victory over Timothy Bradley (not pictured) after their WBO World Welterweight Title bout at MGM Grand Garden Arena. Pacquiao won via unanimous decision. Mandatory Credit: Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports
The 30-year old Algieri will his a big paycheck in his next appearance in the ring after being picked as the November opponent of the eight-division world champion. The former kickboxer's name first emerged as a contender for Pacman after beating Siberian Rocky Ruslan Provodnikov via split decision in a brutal 12-round bout that saw him floored twice in the first round.
Veteran boxing promoter Joe DeGuardia believed his ward has a shot at pulling off an upset against Pacquiao because of his more tactical approach. He added that Algieri's solid jabs are going to be a factor against the former pound-for-pound king.
Well now for this particular fight, sure it pays good money the Pacquiao fight - but the reality is I'm also taking this fight because of the opportunity it provides and I like the way he stacks up against Manny. It's a great opportunity for him. I feel comfortable putting him in the fight and I think he's going to win," DeGuardia told BoxingScene.com
DeGuardia also revealed that he knew the huge opportunity in store in the fight against Provodnikov, saying the win over the Russian certainly opened the floodgates of opportunity for him.
"I took the Provodnikov fight for one reason and one reason alone - I knew that Chris stacked up pretty well against him and I also knew about the opportunity it provided," the promoter told Boxing Scene.
It's All in the Jab
According to the promoter, Algieri's secret weapon will mess up Pacquiao's game plan at fight night. He thinks a fighter possessing a good jab can control a fight always, neutralizing speed and power of his opponent. DeGuardia believed it's going to be the biggest advantage Algieri will have against Pacquiao, who hasn't scored a knockout victory since Miguel Cotto in 2009.
Pacquiao, who will reportedly earn at least $20 million, will be staking his WBO Welterweight championship belt in the fight. Meanwhile, Algieri will risk his undefeated record of 20 wins with 8 Kos, but he's set to pocket the richest paycheck in his career at $1 million.
For more Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri news, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Manchester United Owners Set To Sell Club In £3B Deal After Acquiring Cristiano Ronaldo, Report Says
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- Ukraine Under Pressure To Accept EU Brokered Gas Deal With Russia: Resists High Prices Demanded By Russia