Chris Algieri Can Shock Manny Pacquiao With Main Weapon - Joe DeGuardia
By Lou Imperial | July 26, 2014 2:24 AM EST
Manny Pacquiao's opponent is oozing with confidence in his first major fight, as the promoter of American fighter Chris Algieri believes his ward's jabs and tactical approach will make the difference in his upcoming battle with the reigning WBO Welterweight champion.
Apr 12, 2014; Las Vegas, NV, USA; Manny Pacquiao celebrates his victory over Timothy Bradley (not pictured) after their WBO World Welterweight Title bout at MGM Grand Garden Arena. Pacquiao won via unanimous decision. Mandatory Credit: Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports
The 30-year old Algieri will his a big paycheck in his next appearance in the ring after being picked as the November opponent of the eight-division world champion. The former kickboxer's name first emerged as a contender for Pacman after beating Siberian Rocky Ruslan Provodnikov via split decision in a brutal 12-round bout that saw him floored twice in the first round.
Veteran boxing promoter Joe DeGuardia believed his ward has a shot at pulling off an upset against Pacquiao because of his more tactical approach. He added that Algieri's solid jabs are going to be a factor against the former pound-for-pound king.
Well now for this particular fight, sure it pays good money the Pacquiao fight - but the reality is I'm also taking this fight because of the opportunity it provides and I like the way he stacks up against Manny. It's a great opportunity for him. I feel comfortable putting him in the fight and I think he's going to win," DeGuardia told BoxingScene.com
DeGuardia also revealed that he knew the huge opportunity in store in the fight against Provodnikov, saying the win over the Russian certainly opened the floodgates of opportunity for him.
"I took the Provodnikov fight for one reason and one reason alone - I knew that Chris stacked up pretty well against him and I also knew about the opportunity it provided," the promoter told Boxing Scene.
It's All in the Jab
According to the promoter, Algieri's secret weapon will mess up Pacquiao's game plan at fight night. He thinks a fighter possessing a good jab can control a fight always, neutralizing speed and power of his opponent. DeGuardia believed it's going to be the biggest advantage Algieri will have against Pacquiao, who hasn't scored a knockout victory since Miguel Cotto in 2009.
Pacquiao, who will reportedly earn at least $20 million, will be staking his WBO Welterweight championship belt in the fight. Meanwhile, Algieri will risk his undefeated record of 20 wins with 8 Kos, but he's set to pocket the richest paycheck in his career at $1 million.
For more Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri news, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance