Chris Algieri Can Shock Manny Pacquiao With Main Weapon - Joe DeGuardia
By Lou Imperial | July 26, 2014 2:24 AM EST
Manny Pacquiao's opponent is oozing with confidence in his first major fight, as the promoter of American fighter Chris Algieri believes his ward's jabs and tactical approach will make the difference in his upcoming battle with the reigning WBO Welterweight champion.
Apr 12, 2014; Las Vegas, NV, USA; Manny Pacquiao celebrates his victory over Timothy Bradley (not pictured) after their WBO World Welterweight Title bout at MGM Grand Garden Arena. Pacquiao won via unanimous decision. Mandatory Credit: Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports
The 30-year old Algieri will his a big paycheck in his next appearance in the ring after being picked as the November opponent of the eight-division world champion. The former kickboxer's name first emerged as a contender for Pacman after beating Siberian Rocky Ruslan Provodnikov via split decision in a brutal 12-round bout that saw him floored twice in the first round.
Veteran boxing promoter Joe DeGuardia believed his ward has a shot at pulling off an upset against Pacquiao because of his more tactical approach. He added that Algieri's solid jabs are going to be a factor against the former pound-for-pound king.
Well now for this particular fight, sure it pays good money the Pacquiao fight - but the reality is I'm also taking this fight because of the opportunity it provides and I like the way he stacks up against Manny. It's a great opportunity for him. I feel comfortable putting him in the fight and I think he's going to win," DeGuardia told BoxingScene.com
DeGuardia also revealed that he knew the huge opportunity in store in the fight against Provodnikov, saying the win over the Russian certainly opened the floodgates of opportunity for him.
"I took the Provodnikov fight for one reason and one reason alone - I knew that Chris stacked up pretty well against him and I also knew about the opportunity it provided," the promoter told Boxing Scene.
It's All in the Jab
According to the promoter, Algieri's secret weapon will mess up Pacquiao's game plan at fight night. He thinks a fighter possessing a good jab can control a fight always, neutralizing speed and power of his opponent. DeGuardia believed it's going to be the biggest advantage Algieri will have against Pacquiao, who hasn't scored a knockout victory since Miguel Cotto in 2009.
Pacquiao, who will reportedly earn at least $20 million, will be staking his WBO Welterweight championship belt in the fight. Meanwhile, Algieri will risk his undefeated record of 20 wins with 8 Kos, but he's set to pocket the richest paycheck in his career at $1 million.
For more Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri news, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report