‘Doctor Who’ Boss Steven Moffat Gives Up on Preventing Leaks, Says Peter Jackson-Directed Episode Will Happen [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | July 26, 2014 12:34 AM EST
“Doctor Who” exec producer Steven Moffat has conceded that the show is no match for episode leaks.
Earlier in July, scripts for the first five episodes of the upcoming season have been leaked online. Reports claimed that the leak originated from a BBC Worldwide office in the U.S., which was responsible for the translation of the episodes for the Latin American viewers.
BBC apologised for the leak, asking the show’s fans who have obtained copies to not share it with a wider audience.
A few days later, another major leak has befallen the popular series. This time, the first episode starring Peter Capaldi as the new incarnation of the Doctor has been leaked online.
The video is watermarked and still unfinished, with the text that appeared reads, “Property of BBC Worldwide. For screening purposes only” and “Prepared for Marcelo Camargo at Drei Marc.”
The name Marcelo Camargo also appeared as a watermarked text on the aforementioned leaked scripts. However, it wasn’t suggested that Camargo was responsible for the leaks.
While the security breach incidents were a huge blow to BBC and the show’s producers, Moffat admitted that they can’t prevent it from ever happening again.
“There isn’t any way to handle it. There isn’t. What do I do? Just say to everybody bring their hard drives into (London’s) Leicester Square and put them in that skip? What am I going to do?” he told WENN.
“I tell you what I did, I sat in my house and went ‘Oh nooo, bugger.’ There’s nothing else I could do. Hope. That’s my official policy. Let’s all really hope.”
In a separate interview with SFX magazine, Moffat talked about a more upbeat topic, namely, “Lord of the Rings” director Peter Jackson’s future “Doctor Who” episode.
Jackson has been interested to direct an episode of the British series, but his busy schedule prevents him from doing so.
Moffat said that while they don’t have a production set yet, the Doctor’s date with Jackson will definitely happen.
“He’s still incredibly busy on ‘The Hobbit.’ I’ve spoken to him face to face, and he would like to do one. He accepts that there’s no money and that there’s no time, and it would have to be when he’s available – and I don’t think he’s even been available enough to answer our emails of late!” Moffat said.
He is positive that Jackson will be able to find time not only to answer their emails, but also to direct an episode. And whenever that is, the “Doctor Who” team will just be on standby.
“I mean, he can do what the hell he likes – he owns New Zealand! I think he’s sincere in his Doctor Who fandom, to say the least. He’s a nice guy, he quite often drops me a line after a show goes out. He’s into it – it’s just ‘Can you make it work?’ I think he would like us to go and make it in New Zealand!
“And I’m like, ‘Okaaay… I’d rather we just flew you to Cardiff!’”
“Doctor Who” starring 12th Doctor Peter Capaldi will kick off its new season on August 23.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS