‘Doctor Who’ Boss Steven Moffat Gives Up on Preventing Leaks, Says Peter Jackson-Directed Episode Will Happen [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | July 26, 2014 12:34 AM EST
“Doctor Who” exec producer Steven Moffat has conceded that the show is no match for episode leaks.
Earlier in July, scripts for the first five episodes of the upcoming season have been leaked online. Reports claimed that the leak originated from a BBC Worldwide office in the U.S., which was responsible for the translation of the episodes for the Latin American viewers.
BBC apologised for the leak, asking the show’s fans who have obtained copies to not share it with a wider audience.
A few days later, another major leak has befallen the popular series. This time, the first episode starring Peter Capaldi as the new incarnation of the Doctor has been leaked online.
The video is watermarked and still unfinished, with the text that appeared reads, “Property of BBC Worldwide. For screening purposes only” and “Prepared for Marcelo Camargo at Drei Marc.”
The name Marcelo Camargo also appeared as a watermarked text on the aforementioned leaked scripts. However, it wasn’t suggested that Camargo was responsible for the leaks.
While the security breach incidents were a huge blow to BBC and the show’s producers, Moffat admitted that they can’t prevent it from ever happening again.
“There isn’t any way to handle it. There isn’t. What do I do? Just say to everybody bring their hard drives into (London’s) Leicester Square and put them in that skip? What am I going to do?” he told WENN.
“I tell you what I did, I sat in my house and went ‘Oh nooo, bugger.’ There’s nothing else I could do. Hope. That’s my official policy. Let’s all really hope.”
In a separate interview with SFX magazine, Moffat talked about a more upbeat topic, namely, “Lord of the Rings” director Peter Jackson’s future “Doctor Who” episode.
Jackson has been interested to direct an episode of the British series, but his busy schedule prevents him from doing so.
Moffat said that while they don’t have a production set yet, the Doctor’s date with Jackson will definitely happen.
“He’s still incredibly busy on ‘The Hobbit.’ I’ve spoken to him face to face, and he would like to do one. He accepts that there’s no money and that there’s no time, and it would have to be when he’s available – and I don’t think he’s even been available enough to answer our emails of late!” Moffat said.
He is positive that Jackson will be able to find time not only to answer their emails, but also to direct an episode. And whenever that is, the “Doctor Who” team will just be on standby.
“I mean, he can do what the hell he likes – he owns New Zealand! I think he’s sincere in his Doctor Who fandom, to say the least. He’s a nice guy, he quite often drops me a line after a show goes out. He’s into it – it’s just ‘Can you make it work?’ I think he would like us to go and make it in New Zealand!
“And I’m like, ‘Okaaay… I’d rather we just flew you to Cardiff!’”
“Doctor Who” starring 12th Doctor Peter Capaldi will kick off its new season on August 23.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia