Alabama Man Goes for Circumcision, Loses Penis Instead
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 25, 2014 9:53 PM EST
Johnny Lee Banks Jr of Birmingham filed a lawsuit on Tuesday at the Jefferson County Circuit Court against the Princeton Baptist Medical Center for malpractice. The lawsuit includes the hospital, a clinic, two doctors and other hospital staff involved in his medical procedure.
He went to the hospital in June for circumcision, but the surgeon made a mistake and cut off his penis. He only discovered his genital missing when he woke up from the procedure, the Associated Press reports.
Banks said the botched procedure caused him extreme pain, while his wife, Zelda, who joined him in the lawsuit, is also suffering from the wrong procedure in which only the foreskin of the glans should have been removed, only to find the entire penis gone.
The lawsuit includes the Urology Centers of Alabama where Banks had been receiving treatment prior to the circumcision procedure which turned into a nightmare. Banks said he was never warned of the possibility that the procedure would result in losing his penis and he didn't consent to full or partial amputation.
A hospital spokesperson said Banks's lawsuit lacks merit.
In 2011, a man filed a similar lawsuit in Kentucky after his organ was partly amputated when the surgeon found potentially fatal cancer while performing a circumcision. The man lost the case after the jury said the doctor exercised proper care in cutting off the penis without consulting the patient.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS