Alabama Man Goes for Circumcision, Loses Penis Instead
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 25, 2014 9:53 PM EST
Johnny Lee Banks Jr of Birmingham filed a lawsuit on Tuesday at the Jefferson County Circuit Court against the Princeton Baptist Medical Center for malpractice. The lawsuit includes the hospital, a clinic, two doctors and other hospital staff involved in his medical procedure.
He went to the hospital in June for circumcision, but the surgeon made a mistake and cut off his penis. He only discovered his genital missing when he woke up from the procedure, the Associated Press reports.
Banks said the botched procedure caused him extreme pain, while his wife, Zelda, who joined him in the lawsuit, is also suffering from the wrong procedure in which only the foreskin of the glans should have been removed, only to find the entire penis gone.
The lawsuit includes the Urology Centers of Alabama where Banks had been receiving treatment prior to the circumcision procedure which turned into a nightmare. Banks said he was never warned of the possibility that the procedure would result in losing his penis and he didn't consent to full or partial amputation.
A hospital spokesperson said Banks's lawsuit lacks merit.
In 2011, a man filed a similar lawsuit in Kentucky after his organ was partly amputated when the surgeon found potentially fatal cancer while performing a circumcision. The man lost the case after the jury said the doctor exercised proper care in cutting off the penis without consulting the patient.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Russian Union Of Engineers Point To Ukraine Airforce As Responsible For MH17 Crash
- California Park Rangers Accuse Nudist Colony Members of Stealing From Waterfall For Skinny Dipping During A Drought
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH 370: Aviation Exec Says Pilot Deliberately Killed Passengers & Crew By Cutting Oxygen Supply
- Financial Intelligence Agency Suspends Sydney Remittance Firm Over Suspicions It Is Used To Finance Terrorism In Middle East
- Australians Targeted By Hackers Locking Computers For $700 Ransom