Kevin Durant Could Leave OKC Thunder For Washington Wizards in 2016 - Report
By Lou Imperial | July 25, 2014 8:37 PM EST
Kevin Durant could bolt out from the Oklahoma City Thunder to play near his home town with the Washington Wizards, when he becomes a free-agent in the summer of 2016, long-time NBA writer Chris Sheridan said in an interview on CineSport.
May 27, 2014; Oklahoma City, OK, USA; Oklahoma City Thunder forward Kevin Durant (35) attempts a shot against San Antonio Spurs forward Tim Duncan (21) during the first quarter in game four of the Western Conference Finals of the 2014 NBA Playoffs at Chesapeake Energy Arena.
Durant, the reigning league's MVP, could test the free-agency waters two seasons from now, and Wizards are certainly among the top destination for the explosive All-Star scorer, according to Sheridan.
Sheridan, editor-in-chief and founder of SheridanHoops.com, said Maryland coach Gary Williams believed it won't be surprising Durant joining the Wizards in 2016.
"This story is being driven by Maryland coach Gary Williams saying it wouldn't surprise him at all for Kevin Durant to go back to DC and play for the Wizards." Sheridan said. "Of course, it's two year's away, that's a long time into the future but summertime is when we talk about free-agency and what players might do in the future."
Sheridan thinks Durant's decision to leave the Thunder might ultimately stem from his team's inability to win a championship or at least being a serious title contender in the next two seasons.
The Thunder's ownership decision to avoid paying luxury tax and break up the superstar trio Durant had with Russell Westbrook and James Harden two years ago might be the trigger to a possible departure from Oklahoma.
Moreover, the veteran NBA analyst also believed that LeBron James' decision to go back to the Cleveland Cavaliers after four seasons with the Miami Heat could be a trendsetter that would make Durant to think about homecoming in 2016.
"Look LeBron James might be the trendsetter because Lebron went back home to join Cleveland." Sheridan said. "Players are starting to play for their hometown teams. That could be the new new, but again that's two years away and we gonna see the Thunder do between now and then."
The inclusion of Durant to the resurging Wizards would make them immediately a title contender, forming a terrific trio with guards Bradley Beal and John Wall in DC. The Wizards recently signed Paul Pierce to a two-year deal this summer, and 2016 is just a perfect time to find a superstar to fill the small forward spot.
The 25-year old Durant averaged 32 points, 7.4 rebounds and 5.5 assists last season with the Thunder, who lost to the San Antonio Spurs in six games of the Western Conference Finals series.
For more Kevin Durant news and NBA rumors, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Wants To Talk To Manny Pacquiao About Super Fight If Filipino Beats Chris Algieri
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Kate Upton And BF Detroit Tigers’ Justin Verlander Spotted Shopping Post Nude Photo Leak Scandal
- 2014/15 NBA Season Preview And Predictions: Los Angeles Lakers; Jeremy Lin's Breakout Campaign
- Manchester United News: Angel Di Maria’s Exit And Hummels’ Future Move
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money