Kevin Durant Could Leave OKC Thunder For Washington Wizards in 2016 - Report
By Lou Imperial | July 25, 2014 8:37 PM EST
Kevin Durant could bolt out from the Oklahoma City Thunder to play near his home town with the Washington Wizards, when he becomes a free-agent in the summer of 2016, long-time NBA writer Chris Sheridan said in an interview on CineSport.
May 27, 2014; Oklahoma City, OK, USA; Oklahoma City Thunder forward Kevin Durant (35) attempts a shot against San Antonio Spurs forward Tim Duncan (21) during the first quarter in game four of the Western Conference Finals of the 2014 NBA Playoffs at Chesapeake Energy Arena.
Durant, the reigning league's MVP, could test the free-agency waters two seasons from now, and Wizards are certainly among the top destination for the explosive All-Star scorer, according to Sheridan.
Sheridan, editor-in-chief and founder of SheridanHoops.com, said Maryland coach Gary Williams believed it won't be surprising Durant joining the Wizards in 2016.
"This story is being driven by Maryland coach Gary Williams saying it wouldn't surprise him at all for Kevin Durant to go back to DC and play for the Wizards." Sheridan said. "Of course, it's two year's away, that's a long time into the future but summertime is when we talk about free-agency and what players might do in the future."
Sheridan thinks Durant's decision to leave the Thunder might ultimately stem from his team's inability to win a championship or at least being a serious title contender in the next two seasons.
The Thunder's ownership decision to avoid paying luxury tax and break up the superstar trio Durant had with Russell Westbrook and James Harden two years ago might be the trigger to a possible departure from Oklahoma.
Moreover, the veteran NBA analyst also believed that LeBron James' decision to go back to the Cleveland Cavaliers after four seasons with the Miami Heat could be a trendsetter that would make Durant to think about homecoming in 2016.
"Look LeBron James might be the trendsetter because Lebron went back home to join Cleveland." Sheridan said. "Players are starting to play for their hometown teams. That could be the new new, but again that's two years away and we gonna see the Thunder do between now and then."
The inclusion of Durant to the resurging Wizards would make them immediately a title contender, forming a terrific trio with guards Bradley Beal and John Wall in DC. The Wizards recently signed Paul Pierce to a two-year deal this summer, and 2016 is just a perfect time to find a superstar to fill the small forward spot.
The 25-year old Durant averaged 32 points, 7.4 rebounds and 5.5 assists last season with the Thunder, who lost to the San Antonio Spurs in six games of the Western Conference Finals series.
For more Kevin Durant news and NBA rumors, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’