Kevin Durant Could Leave OKC Thunder For Washington Wizards in 2016 - Report
By Lou Imperial | July 25, 2014 8:37 PM EST
Kevin Durant could bolt out from the Oklahoma City Thunder to play near his home town with the Washington Wizards, when he becomes a free-agent in the summer of 2016, long-time NBA writer Chris Sheridan said in an interview on CineSport.
May 27, 2014; Oklahoma City, OK, USA; Oklahoma City Thunder forward Kevin Durant (35) attempts a shot against San Antonio Spurs forward Tim Duncan (21) during the first quarter in game four of the Western Conference Finals of the 2014 NBA Playoffs at Chesapeake Energy Arena.
Durant, the reigning league's MVP, could test the free-agency waters two seasons from now, and Wizards are certainly among the top destination for the explosive All-Star scorer, according to Sheridan.
Sheridan, editor-in-chief and founder of SheridanHoops.com, said Maryland coach Gary Williams believed it won't be surprising Durant joining the Wizards in 2016.
"This story is being driven by Maryland coach Gary Williams saying it wouldn't surprise him at all for Kevin Durant to go back to DC and play for the Wizards." Sheridan said. "Of course, it's two year's away, that's a long time into the future but summertime is when we talk about free-agency and what players might do in the future."
Sheridan thinks Durant's decision to leave the Thunder might ultimately stem from his team's inability to win a championship or at least being a serious title contender in the next two seasons.
The Thunder's ownership decision to avoid paying luxury tax and break up the superstar trio Durant had with Russell Westbrook and James Harden two years ago might be the trigger to a possible departure from Oklahoma.
Moreover, the veteran NBA analyst also believed that LeBron James' decision to go back to the Cleveland Cavaliers after four seasons with the Miami Heat could be a trendsetter that would make Durant to think about homecoming in 2016.
"Look LeBron James might be the trendsetter because Lebron went back home to join Cleveland." Sheridan said. "Players are starting to play for their hometown teams. That could be the new new, but again that's two years away and we gonna see the Thunder do between now and then."
The inclusion of Durant to the resurging Wizards would make them immediately a title contender, forming a terrific trio with guards Bradley Beal and John Wall in DC. The Wizards recently signed Paul Pierce to a two-year deal this summer, and 2016 is just a perfect time to find a superstar to fill the small forward spot.
The 25-year old Durant averaged 32 points, 7.4 rebounds and 5.5 assists last season with the Thunder, who lost to the San Antonio Spurs in six games of the Western Conference Finals series.
For more Kevin Durant news and NBA rumors, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance