Weird Al Yankovic's Mandatory Fun Album Tops Billboard and Beats Jason Mraz Yes! Album: Mraz Congratulates Yankovic on Twitter [WATCH VIDEO]
By Janice Somosot | July 25, 2014 4:59 PM EST
Weird Al Yankovic's "Mandatory Fun" album has topped the Billboard 200 Charts. It has even beaten singer-songwriter Jason Mraz and his new "Yes!" Album, which just debuted at the No. 2 spot. Mraz was a good sport about it and even congratulated Yankovic on Twitter. Read on to learn more about it.
Musician "Weird Al" Yankovic poses for a portrait in the Reuters bureau in Los Angeles, California July 24, 2014. The 54-year-old singer of such songs as "Eat It," a culinary spoof on Michael Jackson's 1983 hit "Beat It" and "Amish Paradise," the send-up of rapper Coolio's 1995 sensation "Gangsta's Paradise," scored his first No. 1 album on the U.S. Billboard chart with "Mandatory Fun", following a week-long rollout of music videos.
Yankovic released his newest parody album on Tuesday, July 15, 2014. It parodies several hit songs from popular artists including "Best Song Ever" by One Direction, "Wrecking Ball" by Miley Cyrus, "Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons, "Fancy" by Iggy Azalea featuring Charli XCX, "Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke, "Happy" by Pharrell Williams and "Royals" by Lorde.
In a brilliant marketing move, he also promoted most of its tracks using popular sites like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. He went against the norm by releasing eight music videos in eight days! This helped propel "Mandatory Fun" to its current status.
Yankovic also took to Twitter to express his joy, gratitude and disbelief in topping the Billboard 200 charts after years of being in the business.
"It's official. MANDATORY FUN enters the Billboard album chart this week at #1. Wow. WOW," tweeted Weird Al.
"If you'd told me 30 years ago this would happen, I never would've believed it. If you'd told me 2 WEEKS ago, I never would've believed it," Yankovic added.
Check out Jason's tweet about Weird Al below.
According to Billboard, Yankovic also beat "The Black Market" by Rise Against (Top 3), "Kidz Bop 26" by Kidz Bop Kids (Top 4) and the "Frozen" soundtrack (Top 5) in the Top 200 charts. Plus, Yankovic's "Word Crimes," which parodies "Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke, is on the Top 3 spot at Billboard's Top 100 Artist's Charts.
That's the latest about Weird Al Yankovic's new "Mandatory Fun" album. For more updates about Weird Al Yankovic and other news about entertainment, business, sports, technology, health and finance, keep on reading the International Business Times (IBT).
Watch the "Weird Al" Yankovic - "Word Crimes" video below from the "Mandatory Fun" Album:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- Mark Ruffalo Turns Into Hulk For His Daughter And Another Preschooler
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- 'Revenge' Season 4 Spoilers: Daniel, Emily In Twisted Friendship; David Clarke Mystery Growing (Review, Updates)
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change