Weird Al Yankovic's Mandatory Fun Album Tops Billboard and Beats Jason Mraz Yes! Album: Mraz Congratulates Yankovic on Twitter [WATCH VIDEO]
By Janice Somosot | July 25, 2014 4:59 PM EST
Weird Al Yankovic's "Mandatory Fun" album has topped the Billboard 200 Charts. It has even beaten singer-songwriter Jason Mraz and his new "Yes!" Album, which just debuted at the No. 2 spot. Mraz was a good sport about it and even congratulated Yankovic on Twitter. Read on to learn more about it.
Musician "Weird Al" Yankovic poses for a portrait in the Reuters bureau in Los Angeles, California July 24, 2014. The 54-year-old singer of such songs as "Eat It," a culinary spoof on Michael Jackson's 1983 hit "Beat It" and "Amish Paradise," the send-up of rapper Coolio's 1995 sensation "Gangsta's Paradise," scored his first No. 1 album on the U.S. Billboard chart with "Mandatory Fun", following a week-long rollout of music videos.
Yankovic released his newest parody album on Tuesday, July 15, 2014. It parodies several hit songs from popular artists including "Best Song Ever" by One Direction, "Wrecking Ball" by Miley Cyrus, "Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons, "Fancy" by Iggy Azalea featuring Charli XCX, "Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke, "Happy" by Pharrell Williams and "Royals" by Lorde.
In a brilliant marketing move, he also promoted most of its tracks using popular sites like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. He went against the norm by releasing eight music videos in eight days! This helped propel "Mandatory Fun" to its current status.
Yankovic also took to Twitter to express his joy, gratitude and disbelief in topping the Billboard 200 charts after years of being in the business.
"It's official. MANDATORY FUN enters the Billboard album chart this week at #1. Wow. WOW," tweeted Weird Al.
"If you'd told me 30 years ago this would happen, I never would've believed it. If you'd told me 2 WEEKS ago, I never would've believed it," Yankovic added.
Check out Jason's tweet about Weird Al below.
According to Billboard, Yankovic also beat "The Black Market" by Rise Against (Top 3), "Kidz Bop 26" by Kidz Bop Kids (Top 4) and the "Frozen" soundtrack (Top 5) in the Top 200 charts. Plus, Yankovic's "Word Crimes," which parodies "Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke, is on the Top 3 spot at Billboard's Top 100 Artist's Charts.
That's the latest about Weird Al Yankovic's new "Mandatory Fun" album. For more updates about Weird Al Yankovic and other news about entertainment, business, sports, technology, health and finance, keep on reading the International Business Times (IBT).
Watch the "Weird Al" Yankovic - "Word Crimes" video below from the "Mandatory Fun" Album:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson And FKA Twigs Romance: Singer’s Twitter Post Sparks Pregnancy Reports Speculating The Couple Is Expecting Their First Baby
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone