UFC News: Dana White Announces Nick Diaz Return, To Fight Anderson Silva in 2015
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 25, 2014 3:45 PM EST
It is all systems go for the return of UFC's prodigal son in the Octagon.
UFC.com reports that Nick Diaz met with UFC President Dana White and Chief Executive Officer Lorenzo Fertitta Thursday to iron out the details of the comeback fights of Diaz in 2015. The controversial star who last fought George St. Pierre at the Bell Center has agreed to a three fight contract extension which was confirmed by no less than White via a tweet.
The former Strikeforce champion is eyeing "The Spider" Anderson Silva as his comeback fight. The said head to head was supposedly supported by White who is estimating a return date for Silva by February of next year, which is generous at best. The main goal of the come backing Diaz is to get him closer at the chance to annex a welterweight title.
It can be recalled that his hiatus from the sport went over on a sour note. Diaz (26-9, 7-6 UFC) lost handily to Georges St. Pierre last March 2013. He was put on the spotlight after the fight after declaring that the eventual winner hit like a girl and demanded a rematch despite being outplayed heavily all throughout the match. The said Pierre-Diaz fight was viewed by many as an accommodation with Diaz coming off a loss from Condit and St Pierre requesting that he face Diaz next. He even said that he might be jail bound due to a serious case of tax evasion.
As it turns out, he is jail free and this time around the other half of the Diaz brothers is out to prove his detractors wrong.
"I've been doing a whole lot of not getting punched around-type stuff," Diaz told UFC.com. "I've been staying in shape pretty good, doing a lot of running. It's been a good experience having this much time off."
Diaz is hoping that he will be able to pull off a big name fight against Silva with both men seeking some sort of redemption. The Spider unceremoniously fell to Chris Weidman and suffered a broken leg which was fed on like frenzy by the media. Diaz believes that his kickboxing style will mesh well with Silva as both players will look for the offense which is a crowd pleaser.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- Ronda Rousey Puts Up Her Belongings For Auction
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build