UFC News: Dana White Announces Nick Diaz Return, To Fight Anderson Silva in 2015
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 25, 2014 3:45 PM EST
It is all systems go for the return of UFC's prodigal son in the Octagon.
UFC.com reports that Nick Diaz met with UFC President Dana White and Chief Executive Officer Lorenzo Fertitta Thursday to iron out the details of the comeback fights of Diaz in 2015. The controversial star who last fought George St. Pierre at the Bell Center has agreed to a three fight contract extension which was confirmed by no less than White via a tweet.
The former Strikeforce champion is eyeing "The Spider" Anderson Silva as his comeback fight. The said head to head was supposedly supported by White who is estimating a return date for Silva by February of next year, which is generous at best. The main goal of the come backing Diaz is to get him closer at the chance to annex a welterweight title.
It can be recalled that his hiatus from the sport went over on a sour note. Diaz (26-9, 7-6 UFC) lost handily to Georges St. Pierre last March 2013. He was put on the spotlight after the fight after declaring that the eventual winner hit like a girl and demanded a rematch despite being outplayed heavily all throughout the match. The said Pierre-Diaz fight was viewed by many as an accommodation with Diaz coming off a loss from Condit and St Pierre requesting that he face Diaz next. He even said that he might be jail bound due to a serious case of tax evasion.
As it turns out, he is jail free and this time around the other half of the Diaz brothers is out to prove his detractors wrong.
"I've been doing a whole lot of not getting punched around-type stuff," Diaz told UFC.com. "I've been staying in shape pretty good, doing a lot of running. It's been a good experience having this much time off."
Diaz is hoping that he will be able to pull off a big name fight against Silva with both men seeking some sort of redemption. The Spider unceremoniously fell to Chris Weidman and suffered a broken leg which was fed on like frenzy by the media. Diaz believes that his kickboxing style will mesh well with Silva as both players will look for the offense which is a crowd pleaser.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510