UFC News: Dana White Announces Nick Diaz Return, To Fight Anderson Silva in 2015
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 25, 2014 3:45 PM EST
It is all systems go for the return of UFC's prodigal son in the Octagon.
UFC.com reports that Nick Diaz met with UFC President Dana White and Chief Executive Officer Lorenzo Fertitta Thursday to iron out the details of the comeback fights of Diaz in 2015. The controversial star who last fought George St. Pierre at the Bell Center has agreed to a three fight contract extension which was confirmed by no less than White via a tweet.
The former Strikeforce champion is eyeing "The Spider" Anderson Silva as his comeback fight. The said head to head was supposedly supported by White who is estimating a return date for Silva by February of next year, which is generous at best. The main goal of the come backing Diaz is to get him closer at the chance to annex a welterweight title.
It can be recalled that his hiatus from the sport went over on a sour note. Diaz (26-9, 7-6 UFC) lost handily to Georges St. Pierre last March 2013. He was put on the spotlight after the fight after declaring that the eventual winner hit like a girl and demanded a rematch despite being outplayed heavily all throughout the match. The said Pierre-Diaz fight was viewed by many as an accommodation with Diaz coming off a loss from Condit and St Pierre requesting that he face Diaz next. He even said that he might be jail bound due to a serious case of tax evasion.
As it turns out, he is jail free and this time around the other half of the Diaz brothers is out to prove his detractors wrong.
"I've been doing a whole lot of not getting punched around-type stuff," Diaz told UFC.com. "I've been staying in shape pretty good, doing a lot of running. It's been a good experience having this much time off."
Diaz is hoping that he will be able to pull off a big name fight against Silva with both men seeking some sort of redemption. The Spider unceremoniously fell to Chris Weidman and suffered a broken leg which was fed on like frenzy by the media. Diaz believes that his kickboxing style will mesh well with Silva as both players will look for the offense which is a crowd pleaser.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best