UFC News: Dana White Announces Nick Diaz Return, To Fight Anderson Silva in 2015
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 25, 2014 3:45 PM EST
It is all systems go for the return of UFC's prodigal son in the Octagon.
UFC.com reports that Nick Diaz met with UFC President Dana White and Chief Executive Officer Lorenzo Fertitta Thursday to iron out the details of the comeback fights of Diaz in 2015. The controversial star who last fought George St. Pierre at the Bell Center has agreed to a three fight contract extension which was confirmed by no less than White via a tweet.
The former Strikeforce champion is eyeing "The Spider" Anderson Silva as his comeback fight. The said head to head was supposedly supported by White who is estimating a return date for Silva by February of next year, which is generous at best. The main goal of the come backing Diaz is to get him closer at the chance to annex a welterweight title.
It can be recalled that his hiatus from the sport went over on a sour note. Diaz (26-9, 7-6 UFC) lost handily to Georges St. Pierre last March 2013. He was put on the spotlight after the fight after declaring that the eventual winner hit like a girl and demanded a rematch despite being outplayed heavily all throughout the match. The said Pierre-Diaz fight was viewed by many as an accommodation with Diaz coming off a loss from Condit and St Pierre requesting that he face Diaz next. He even said that he might be jail bound due to a serious case of tax evasion.
As it turns out, he is jail free and this time around the other half of the Diaz brothers is out to prove his detractors wrong.
"I've been doing a whole lot of not getting punched around-type stuff," Diaz told UFC.com. "I've been staying in shape pretty good, doing a lot of running. It's been a good experience having this much time off."
Diaz is hoping that he will be able to pull off a big name fight against Silva with both men seeking some sort of redemption. The Spider unceremoniously fell to Chris Weidman and suffered a broken leg which was fed on like frenzy by the media. Diaz believes that his kickboxing style will mesh well with Silva as both players will look for the offense which is a crowd pleaser.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions