UFC News: Dana White Announces Nick Diaz Return, To Fight Anderson Silva in 2015
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 25, 2014 3:45 PM EST
It is all systems go for the return of UFC's prodigal son in the Octagon.
UFC.com reports that Nick Diaz met with UFC President Dana White and Chief Executive Officer Lorenzo Fertitta Thursday to iron out the details of the comeback fights of Diaz in 2015. The controversial star who last fought George St. Pierre at the Bell Center has agreed to a three fight contract extension which was confirmed by no less than White via a tweet.
The former Strikeforce champion is eyeing "The Spider" Anderson Silva as his comeback fight. The said head to head was supposedly supported by White who is estimating a return date for Silva by February of next year, which is generous at best. The main goal of the come backing Diaz is to get him closer at the chance to annex a welterweight title.
It can be recalled that his hiatus from the sport went over on a sour note. Diaz (26-9, 7-6 UFC) lost handily to Georges St. Pierre last March 2013. He was put on the spotlight after the fight after declaring that the eventual winner hit like a girl and demanded a rematch despite being outplayed heavily all throughout the match. The said Pierre-Diaz fight was viewed by many as an accommodation with Diaz coming off a loss from Condit and St Pierre requesting that he face Diaz next. He even said that he might be jail bound due to a serious case of tax evasion.
As it turns out, he is jail free and this time around the other half of the Diaz brothers is out to prove his detractors wrong.
"I've been doing a whole lot of not getting punched around-type stuff," Diaz told UFC.com. "I've been staying in shape pretty good, doing a lot of running. It's been a good experience having this much time off."
Diaz is hoping that he will be able to pull off a big name fight against Silva with both men seeking some sort of redemption. The Spider unceremoniously fell to Chris Weidman and suffered a broken leg which was fed on like frenzy by the media. Diaz believes that his kickboxing style will mesh well with Silva as both players will look for the offense which is a crowd pleaser.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage