Winds of Winter Spoilers: Stannis Baratheon – Fans’ Expectations
By Sachin Trivedi | July 25, 2014 3:37 PM EST
The wait for the release date of "Winds of Winter" is now in its third year. Many impatient fans have come online to share their theories about what the author, George R. R. Martin, has planned in the next book. Here is a look at some of the predictions for Stannis.
George R.R. Martin, author of the "Song of Ice and Fire" fantasy series that is the basis of the television series "Game of Thrones", gestures during his masterclass at the Neuchatel International Fantastic Film Festival (NIFFF) in Neuchatel July 10, 2014. REUTERS/Denis Balibouse
Two big battles were left in cliffhangers in the previous book "A Dance with Dragons." The book was released in 2011. The battles involving Stannis and Daenerys are expected to feature early on in "Winds of Winter."
So far things have been taking dramatic turns for Stannis. When faced with the almost impossible task of defeating his brother's armies he used Melisandre's magic to get rid of him. In what was supposed to be a thumping victory turned out to be a humiliating defeat at the Battle of the Blackwater.
Things now look good for Stannis after getting the backing of the Iron Bank and having a large number of the Free Folk to recruit into his army. He will have to fight a difficult battle against the Boltons in "Winds of Winter."
Stannis Baratheon is one character that many fans do not expect to die in "Winds of Winter." But the character has placed himself between a rock and a hard place by going to the north. Getting the defenses of The Wall ready and fighting the eventual onslaught of the White Walkers may win him the hearts of the people in Westeros but not necessarily the Iron Throne.
The Iron Born have been constantly fighting to break away from the North. The lands south of the Stark Kingdom are mostly controlled by the Lannisters. Stannis may have little choice but hold his ground and try to survive the winter.
Some of the fans at the A Song of Ice and Fire forum believe that Stannis will win the upcoming battle with the Boltons. Fans also expect him to deliver justice to the people of the North by punishing the Boltons and the Freys for betraying the Starks at the Red Wedding.
Some of the fans also point to the vision Daenerys Targaryen had about defeating the "blue eyed king." Some of the fans believe this to be Stannis and expect a major battle between Daenerys and Stannis much later in the story. For that to happen however Stannis will have to survive the "Winds of Winter." Please post your theories in the comments section below.
More Articles to Read
Game of Thrones Season 5 Spoilers: Nymeria Sand [Read]
'Saddest Bear on Earth' Slowly Going Insane in Zoo [Read]
Avengers: Age of Ultron - Stan Lee Confirms a Cameo Role [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 'Meatspace': Lamb Chop Sent Into Space Returns To Earth [Watch Video]
- Shakespeare's 3.5 million-pound First Folio Copy Found in A Small French Library
- ‘Winds of Winter’ Fan Predictions: Lady Stoneheart’s Revenge
- World War 3 Triggers: Recent Tom Clancy Books Offer 3 Likely Starts of Global Conflict
- ‘Winds of Winter’ Fan Predictions: Tyrion And The Dragons [Spoilers]
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Canada Jetlines Files For C$50 Million Airline IPO