NBA News – Dallas Mavericks Officially Sign Veteran Jameer Nelson
By James Patrick Quizon | July 25, 2014 3:35 PM EST
The Dallas Mavericks were reportedly interested in a pair of veterans—Jameer Nelson or Mo Williams—to shore up their point guard position. On Thursday, they made their choice choosing Nelson over Williams and is set to sign him to a two-year $5.6 million contract.
NBA: Playoffs-Dallas Mavericks at San Antonio Spurs
The Mavericks official Twitter account confirmed the acquisition:
— Dallas Mavericks (@dallasmavs) July 24, 2014
Nelson is expected to battle for the starting PG-spot for the Mavericks, which needed help at the one-spot after dealing away Jose Calderon in an earlier deal in the offseason.
Nelson will receive $2.73 in the first year with Dallas and then can decide to come back for a second year for $2.86M.
The move appears to be the last major signing for Dallas in the 2014 offseason and they will most likely move forward with the veteran crew at the one-spot. Nelson is 32 years old while other PGs in the team are Devin Harris, 31 and Raymond Felton, 30.
The Mavericks started the offseason by getting back center Tyson Chandler in a trade with the New York Knicks the stole small forward Chandler Parsons for $15M a year from Texas rivals Houston Rockets. Dallas then signed free agent Al-Farouq Aminu, who is expected to back up both forward spots.
Nelson is entering his 11th season in the league with career averages of 12.6 points, 3.1 rebounds and 5.4 assists per game in 651 games all for the Orlando Magic. Nelson’s best year was in 2008-2009 when he made the NBA All-Star team that year and averaged career-high 16.7 PPG.
Can Nelson help the Mavericks this season? Was it the right decision to get Nelson over Williams?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate