NBA News – Dallas Mavericks Officially Sign Veteran Jameer Nelson
By James Patrick Quizon | July 25, 2014 3:35 PM EST
The Dallas Mavericks were reportedly interested in a pair of veterans—Jameer Nelson or Mo Williams—to shore up their point guard position. On Thursday, they made their choice choosing Nelson over Williams and is set to sign him to a two-year $5.6 million contract.
NBA: Playoffs-Dallas Mavericks at San Antonio Spurs
The Mavericks official Twitter account confirmed the acquisition:
— Dallas Mavericks (@dallasmavs) July 24, 2014
Nelson is expected to battle for the starting PG-spot for the Mavericks, which needed help at the one-spot after dealing away Jose Calderon in an earlier deal in the offseason.
Nelson will receive $2.73 in the first year with Dallas and then can decide to come back for a second year for $2.86M.
The move appears to be the last major signing for Dallas in the 2014 offseason and they will most likely move forward with the veteran crew at the one-spot. Nelson is 32 years old while other PGs in the team are Devin Harris, 31 and Raymond Felton, 30.
The Mavericks started the offseason by getting back center Tyson Chandler in a trade with the New York Knicks the stole small forward Chandler Parsons for $15M a year from Texas rivals Houston Rockets. Dallas then signed free agent Al-Farouq Aminu, who is expected to back up both forward spots.
Nelson is entering his 11th season in the league with career averages of 12.6 points, 3.1 rebounds and 5.4 assists per game in 651 games all for the Orlando Magic. Nelson’s best year was in 2008-2009 when he made the NBA All-Star team that year and averaged career-high 16.7 PPG.
Can Nelson help the Mavericks this season? Was it the right decision to get Nelson over Williams?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates