NBA News – Dallas Mavericks Officially Sign Veteran Jameer Nelson
By James Patrick Quizon | July 25, 2014 3:35 PM EST
The Dallas Mavericks were reportedly interested in a pair of veterans—Jameer Nelson or Mo Williams—to shore up their point guard position. On Thursday, they made their choice choosing Nelson over Williams and is set to sign him to a two-year $5.6 million contract.
NBA: Playoffs-Dallas Mavericks at San Antonio Spurs
The Mavericks official Twitter account confirmed the acquisition:
— Dallas Mavericks (@dallasmavs) July 24, 2014
Nelson is expected to battle for the starting PG-spot for the Mavericks, which needed help at the one-spot after dealing away Jose Calderon in an earlier deal in the offseason.
Nelson will receive $2.73 in the first year with Dallas and then can decide to come back for a second year for $2.86M.
The move appears to be the last major signing for Dallas in the 2014 offseason and they will most likely move forward with the veteran crew at the one-spot. Nelson is 32 years old while other PGs in the team are Devin Harris, 31 and Raymond Felton, 30.
The Mavericks started the offseason by getting back center Tyson Chandler in a trade with the New York Knicks the stole small forward Chandler Parsons for $15M a year from Texas rivals Houston Rockets. Dallas then signed free agent Al-Farouq Aminu, who is expected to back up both forward spots.
Nelson is entering his 11th season in the league with career averages of 12.6 points, 3.1 rebounds and 5.4 assists per game in 651 games all for the Orlando Magic. Nelson’s best year was in 2008-2009 when he made the NBA All-Star team that year and averaged career-high 16.7 PPG.
Can Nelson help the Mavericks this season? Was it the right decision to get Nelson over Williams?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Fernando Alonso Leaves Ferrari 'For Two Reasons'
- Roger Federer Says He Has Never Seen Rafael Nadal Play So Bad, Wishes That The Spaniard Recuperate Well From Appendicitis
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nick Kyrgios Holds Twitter Q&A, Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time And His Favourite Superhero
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Xiaomi VP Hugo Barra Says ‘Apple iPhone 6 Is The Most Beautiful Smartphone Ever Built’
- Vivo Rumoured To Be Building World’s Thinnest Smartphone With 3.8 MM Thickness