Manchester United Dominates US Club Los Angeles Galaxy, 7-0 in US Tour 2014
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | July 25, 2014 2:39 PM EST
Manchester United players celebrate with Reece James (4th L) after he scored against the Los Angeles Galaxy during the second half of their international soccer friendly match in Pasadena, California July 23, 2014.
"The result always matters. With such a result you get confidence," declared Van Gaal via Manchester United’s official website.
“It is fantastic how they have performed today. When you see us train, you can expect something but not 7-0. It was a surprise, but they were beautiful goals and beautiful attacks."
Danny Welbeck opened the scoring with a 13th minute strike for the Reds before Wayne Rooney added two more (42’ penalty, 45’) late in the first half to build a 3-0 bubble at halftime. It was only the start of the scoring barrage as Matty James provided two goals (62’, 84’) and Ashley Young (88’, 90’) added insult to injury very late into the match.
Van Gaal also credited the new 3-5-2 system in place for United.
“The result always matters. With such a result you get confidence. We introduced a new system and played twice on the training pitch, 11 v 11. It is not very much, but the boys are willing to pick up the information. Last week, 10 players who played tonight were not even at our training complex,” added the manager.
The 62-year-old veteran manager Van Gaal handled Ajax (1991-1997), Barcelona (1997-2000, 2002-2003), AZ (2005-2009) and the Netherlands national team (2000-2002, 2012-2014) in previous stints. Van Gaal led the Dutch to a respectable finish in the recently-concluded 2014 World Cup in Brazil defeating the hosts in the third place match, 3-0.
While it was an impressive showing by Man U, the Galaxy’s embarrassing performance especially on defense proved that they are still not yet in the level of their European counterparts.
Manchester United faces AS Roma on July 26 at eh Sports Authority Field (Denver, Colordao), Inter Milan on July 30 at the FedEx Field (Washington, Maryland) and Real Madrid on August 2 at the Michigan Stadium (Detroit, Michigan)
Watch Manchester United’s drubbing of the Los Angeles Galaxy here:
(YouTube/ Football Daily News)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS