Australian Androgynous Model Andrej Pejic Officially Becomes Andreja: Thanks Fans in Facebook for Love and Support [WATCH VIDEO]
By Janice Somosot | July 25, 2014 2:00 PM EST
Australian androgynous model Andrej Pejic has found much success in the world of fashion and runways because of the versatile looks that enabled him to model both male and female designer clothes, bags and accessories, including Jean Paul Gaultier and Marc Jacobs. Pejic's feminine looks even caused numerous people to think of him as a girl. Now, there will be no more confusion because Pejic has finally chosen a gender to belong in and be identified with. Andrej Pejic has officially become Andreja Pejic due to a successful gender reassignment surgery. Technically speaking, Andrej is a transgender woman now. Read on for more details about Andreja.
According to People, the 22-year-old Pejic has admitted to undergoing gender reassignment surgery in early 2014 to officially become Andreja.
"I want to share my story with the world because I think I have a social responsibility," Pejic told People exclusively.
Pejic reportedly wanted the whole thing to not become such a big issue and admitting it was the first step to getting it out in the open on his terms. Also, becoming a girl has always been Pelvic's dream and this was one way of making it come true. After years of trying to fit in as a boy, Pejic finally chose to become Andreja.
Andreja only planned on finishing high school as a boy and then afterwards, transition to a girl and never look back. But, fate had other plans when the chance to model presented itself. Pejic then went on to become a successful androgynous model. Despite the success, Pejic wanted to be comfortable in his own skin.
"I was proud of my gender nonconforming career. But my biggest dream was to be comfortable in my own body. I have to be true to myself and the career is just going to have to fit around that," said Pejic to People.
After undergoing the gender reassignment surgery in the U.S., Pejic is reportedly happy, comfortable and open to love again. Andreja even thanked fans in Facebook for all the love and support and attached the hashtag #betruebeyou to the message.
"I want to take this opportunity to thank all of you for the love and support throughout the years. You've all helped me through this journey and I have learned a lot and really come into my own and the response to today's announcement truly overwhelmed me and reminds me of why I chose to do this publicly," posted Andreja on Facebook.
Aside from People, Andreja also spoke to Entertainment Tonight, or ET about becoming a transgender woman. Click HERE to see a video from ET Online.
Now that Australian androgynous model Andrej Pejic has officially become Andreja, she plans to continue working as a model. Moreover, she is set to act in the live action adaptation of "The Little Mermaid," which will be directed by Sofia Coppola. Keep on reading International Business Times, or IBTimes for more updates about Andreja Pejic, as well as other news about entertainment, fashion, health, sports, business, finance and technology.
Watch the video below featuring Pejic:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- After Estee Lauder, Kendal Jenner Now Bags Karl Lagerfeld Campaign In Less Than A Week
- Ryan Gosling Turned Down 'Sexiest Man Alive' Title, Feels He Is 'Too Serious' For It
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Austin Mahone Looks Drool Worthy On Teen Vogue, Opens Up About Girlfriend Camilla Cabello
- Cindy Crawford's Teenage Daughter Kaia Looks Stunning In Teen Vogue, Says She Wants To Be An Actress
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video