Floyd Mayweather Jr. Camp Senses Danger in Fighting Miguel Cotto at Middleweight
By Lou Imperial | July 25, 2014 1:23 PM EST
Floyd Mayweather Sr. doesn't want his son to fight newly-crowned middleweight champion Miguel Cotto, believing the weight division is off limits for the pound-for-pound king.
Jul 14, 2014; New York, NY, USA; Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Marcos Maidana (right) stare at each other during face off to promote their upcoming welterweight rematch during a press conf at Times Square. Mandatory Credit: Noah K. Murray-USA TODAY Sports
Mayweather is going to have several names to be considered as his next fighter should he overcomes Argentine brawler Marcos Maidana the second time around on September 13 at MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas.
Great Britain's top welterweight Amir Khan, jr. welterweight kingpin Danny Garcia and WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao are among the top contenders for Mayweather in his next Cinco de Mayo special in 2015.
But there's also a group of boxing fans who wished Mayweather to gun for the WBC middleweight title against Cotto, whom he already defeated in their WBA light middleweight title fight in 2012.
However, the elder Mayweather immediately downplayed the possibility of a rematch between Mayweather and Cotto at a 160 pounds weight limit, because it would be disadvantageous for his son to go up against a bulkier Puerto Rican.
"Let me explain something to you. When you say middleweight, it ain't junior welter, it ain't welter, it ain't junior middleweight, its middleweight. Evidently he went to middleweight because he can hold middleweight. Floyd don't got no business fighting there. Floyd is nowhere that kind of size," Mayweather said in his recent interview with the Boxing Voice.
"Of course Cotto going to get bigger cause he's middleweight and when you get bigger, you get stronger. So there ain't no need for it. He already did what he needed to do. He don't gotta prove nothing no more. And he won unanimous. Done!"
Sensing Danger at 160 pounds
Mayweather held titles at Super Featherweight, Lightweight, Light Welterweight, Welterweight and Light Middleweight divisions. A match against Cotto could give him a chance to bag a world championship is six different weight divisions and a fifth lineal title which is something no fighter has accomplished yet.
However, Mayweather Sr. simply senses an imposing danger to his son and his much-bragged undefeated record. Based on Cotto's performance against Sergio Martinez, the Puerto Rican can carry his power and agility to his current weight, as he decimated the proud Argentine champion to pieces in their title fight last June.
Unlike Pacquiao who had enough guts to conquer 165-pounder Antonio Margarito in their light middleweight showdown in 2010, Mayweather just couldn't take risk. Perhaps, it's what the Grand Rapids native has been saying all along about thinking smart.
(Youtube/The Boxing Voice)
For more Floyd Mayweather Jr. news, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Wants To Talk To Manny Pacquiao About Super Fight If Filipino Beats Chris Algieri
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Manchester United News: Angel Di Maria’s Exit And Hummels’ Future Move
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots