Floyd Mayweather Jr. Camp Senses Danger in Fighting Miguel Cotto at Middleweight
By Lou Imperial | July 25, 2014 1:23 PM EST
Floyd Mayweather Sr. doesn't want his son to fight newly-crowned middleweight champion Miguel Cotto, believing the weight division is off limits for the pound-for-pound king.
Jul 14, 2014; New York, NY, USA; Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Marcos Maidana (right) stare at each other during face off to promote their upcoming welterweight rematch during a press conf at Times Square. Mandatory Credit: Noah K. Murray-USA TODAY Sports
Mayweather is going to have several names to be considered as his next fighter should he overcomes Argentine brawler Marcos Maidana the second time around on September 13 at MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas.
Great Britain's top welterweight Amir Khan, jr. welterweight kingpin Danny Garcia and WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao are among the top contenders for Mayweather in his next Cinco de Mayo special in 2015.
But there's also a group of boxing fans who wished Mayweather to gun for the WBC middleweight title against Cotto, whom he already defeated in their WBA light middleweight title fight in 2012.
However, the elder Mayweather immediately downplayed the possibility of a rematch between Mayweather and Cotto at a 160 pounds weight limit, because it would be disadvantageous for his son to go up against a bulkier Puerto Rican.
"Let me explain something to you. When you say middleweight, it ain't junior welter, it ain't welter, it ain't junior middleweight, its middleweight. Evidently he went to middleweight because he can hold middleweight. Floyd don't got no business fighting there. Floyd is nowhere that kind of size," Mayweather said in his recent interview with the Boxing Voice.
"Of course Cotto going to get bigger cause he's middleweight and when you get bigger, you get stronger. So there ain't no need for it. He already did what he needed to do. He don't gotta prove nothing no more. And he won unanimous. Done!"
Sensing Danger at 160 pounds
Mayweather held titles at Super Featherweight, Lightweight, Light Welterweight, Welterweight and Light Middleweight divisions. A match against Cotto could give him a chance to bag a world championship is six different weight divisions and a fifth lineal title which is something no fighter has accomplished yet.
However, Mayweather Sr. simply senses an imposing danger to his son and his much-bragged undefeated record. Based on Cotto's performance against Sergio Martinez, the Puerto Rican can carry his power and agility to his current weight, as he decimated the proud Argentine champion to pieces in their title fight last June.
Unlike Pacquiao who had enough guts to conquer 165-pounder Antonio Margarito in their light middleweight showdown in 2010, Mayweather just couldn't take risk. Perhaps, it's what the Grand Rapids native has been saying all along about thinking smart.
(Youtube/The Boxing Voice)
For more Floyd Mayweather Jr. news, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?