Jeremy Lin to Use Old #17 Jersey with the Los Angeles Lakers, Start of Return to ‘Linsanity’
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | July 25, 2014 1:19 PM EST
Jeremy Lin is going back to his old #17 jersey when he plays for the Los Angeles Lakers. That is the same jersey number he used when he played for the New York Knicks and when “Linsanity” exploded in the basketball scene.
Jul 24, 2014; El Segundo, CA, USA; Los Angeles Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak introduces Jeremy Lin during a press conference at Toyota Sports Center. Mandatory Credit:
In his two-year stint with the Houston Rockets, the Taiwanese-American used a different jersey number (#7) and he did not deliver the same stats in Texas relative to his time in the Big Apple.
Jeremy Lin with New York Knicks (2011-2012): 14.6 PPG, 3.1 RPG, 6.2 APG in 26.2 MPG
Jeremy Lin with Houston Rockets (2012-2014): 12.9 PPG, 2.8 RPG, 5.1 APG in 30.5 MPG
The numbers are actually very similar but if the minutes per game plus the role in the offense are considered then it’s safe to conclude that Lin’s play had a slight drop-off when he transferred from New York to Houston. To further emphasize this slight dip in stats, here are the more reliable per-36 numbers:
Season Averages (Per 36 minutes)
Jeremy Lin with New York Knicks (2011-2012): 19.6 PPG, 4.1 RPG and 8.3 APG
Jeremy Lin with Houston Rockets (2012-2014): 15.2 PPG, 3.3 RPG and 6.0 APG
*points per game (PPG), rebounds per game (RPG), assists per game (APG) and minutes per game (MPG)
Blaming the change in the jersey number is moot if not, downright stupid. The reason for the dip in play is because of his change in role with the Rockets—he was primarily a back-up to Patrick Beverley and his head coach Kevin McHale did not trust him in stretches.
Don’t expect Jeremy Lin to return to Linsanity form just because of the jersey number. But for the Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Lakers fans who are expecting another tough season ahead, they will take the change in jersey number as a good omen and a positive start for Lin in L.A.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert