Jeremy Lin to Use Old #17 Jersey with the Los Angeles Lakers, Start of Return to ‘Linsanity’
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | July 25, 2014 1:19 PM EST
Jeremy Lin is going back to his old #17 jersey when he plays for the Los Angeles Lakers. That is the same jersey number he used when he played for the New York Knicks and when “Linsanity” exploded in the basketball scene.
Jul 24, 2014; El Segundo, CA, USA; Los Angeles Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak introduces Jeremy Lin during a press conference at Toyota Sports Center. Mandatory Credit:
In his two-year stint with the Houston Rockets, the Taiwanese-American used a different jersey number (#7) and he did not deliver the same stats in Texas relative to his time in the Big Apple.
Jeremy Lin with New York Knicks (2011-2012): 14.6 PPG, 3.1 RPG, 6.2 APG in 26.2 MPG
Jeremy Lin with Houston Rockets (2012-2014): 12.9 PPG, 2.8 RPG, 5.1 APG in 30.5 MPG
The numbers are actually very similar but if the minutes per game plus the role in the offense are considered then it’s safe to conclude that Lin’s play had a slight drop-off when he transferred from New York to Houston. To further emphasize this slight dip in stats, here are the more reliable per-36 numbers:
Season Averages (Per 36 minutes)
Jeremy Lin with New York Knicks (2011-2012): 19.6 PPG, 4.1 RPG and 8.3 APG
Jeremy Lin with Houston Rockets (2012-2014): 15.2 PPG, 3.3 RPG and 6.0 APG
*points per game (PPG), rebounds per game (RPG), assists per game (APG) and minutes per game (MPG)
Blaming the change in the jersey number is moot if not, downright stupid. The reason for the dip in play is because of his change in role with the Rockets—he was primarily a back-up to Patrick Beverley and his head coach Kevin McHale did not trust him in stretches.
Don’t expect Jeremy Lin to return to Linsanity form just because of the jersey number. But for the Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Lakers fans who are expecting another tough season ahead, they will take the change in jersey number as a good omen and a positive start for Lin in L.A.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar