Jeremy Lin to Use Old #17 Jersey with the Los Angeles Lakers, Start of Return to ‘Linsanity’
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | July 25, 2014 1:19 PM EST
Jeremy Lin is going back to his old #17 jersey when he plays for the Los Angeles Lakers. That is the same jersey number he used when he played for the New York Knicks and when “Linsanity” exploded in the basketball scene.
Jul 24, 2014; El Segundo, CA, USA; Los Angeles Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak introduces Jeremy Lin during a press conference at Toyota Sports Center. Mandatory Credit:
In his two-year stint with the Houston Rockets, the Taiwanese-American used a different jersey number (#7) and he did not deliver the same stats in Texas relative to his time in the Big Apple.
Jeremy Lin with New York Knicks (2011-2012): 14.6 PPG, 3.1 RPG, 6.2 APG in 26.2 MPG
Jeremy Lin with Houston Rockets (2012-2014): 12.9 PPG, 2.8 RPG, 5.1 APG in 30.5 MPG
The numbers are actually very similar but if the minutes per game plus the role in the offense are considered then it’s safe to conclude that Lin’s play had a slight drop-off when he transferred from New York to Houston. To further emphasize this slight dip in stats, here are the more reliable per-36 numbers:
Season Averages (Per 36 minutes)
Jeremy Lin with New York Knicks (2011-2012): 19.6 PPG, 4.1 RPG and 8.3 APG
Jeremy Lin with Houston Rockets (2012-2014): 15.2 PPG, 3.3 RPG and 6.0 APG
*points per game (PPG), rebounds per game (RPG), assists per game (APG) and minutes per game (MPG)
Blaming the change in the jersey number is moot if not, downright stupid. The reason for the dip in play is because of his change in role with the Rockets—he was primarily a back-up to Patrick Beverley and his head coach Kevin McHale did not trust him in stretches.
Don’t expect Jeremy Lin to return to Linsanity form just because of the jersey number. But for the Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Lakers fans who are expecting another tough season ahead, they will take the change in jersey number as a good omen and a positive start for Lin in L.A.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related