Jeremy Lin to Use Old #17 Jersey with the Los Angeles Lakers, Start of Return to ‘Linsanity’
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | July 25, 2014 1:19 PM EST
Jeremy Lin is going back to his old #17 jersey when he plays for the Los Angeles Lakers. That is the same jersey number he used when he played for the New York Knicks and when “Linsanity” exploded in the basketball scene.
Jul 24, 2014; El Segundo, CA, USA; Los Angeles Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak introduces Jeremy Lin during a press conference at Toyota Sports Center. Mandatory Credit:
In his two-year stint with the Houston Rockets, the Taiwanese-American used a different jersey number (#7) and he did not deliver the same stats in Texas relative to his time in the Big Apple.
Jeremy Lin with New York Knicks (2011-2012): 14.6 PPG, 3.1 RPG, 6.2 APG in 26.2 MPG
Jeremy Lin with Houston Rockets (2012-2014): 12.9 PPG, 2.8 RPG, 5.1 APG in 30.5 MPG
The numbers are actually very similar but if the minutes per game plus the role in the offense are considered then it’s safe to conclude that Lin’s play had a slight drop-off when he transferred from New York to Houston. To further emphasize this slight dip in stats, here are the more reliable per-36 numbers:
Season Averages (Per 36 minutes)
Jeremy Lin with New York Knicks (2011-2012): 19.6 PPG, 4.1 RPG and 8.3 APG
Jeremy Lin with Houston Rockets (2012-2014): 15.2 PPG, 3.3 RPG and 6.0 APG
*points per game (PPG), rebounds per game (RPG), assists per game (APG) and minutes per game (MPG)
Blaming the change in the jersey number is moot if not, downright stupid. The reason for the dip in play is because of his change in role with the Rockets—he was primarily a back-up to Patrick Beverley and his head coach Kevin McHale did not trust him in stretches.
Don’t expect Jeremy Lin to return to Linsanity form just because of the jersey number. But for the Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Lakers fans who are expecting another tough season ahead, they will take the change in jersey number as a good omen and a positive start for Lin in L.A.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 NFL Thanksgiving Games Results: Detroit Lions, Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks Notch All-Important Wins With Major Postseason Implications
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- Derrick Rose Is Lying About His Health Says ESPN Analyst Stephen A. Smith
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More