The Amazing Spider-man 3 Release Date Pushed Back to 2018 Plus Other Superhero Comic-con News
By Christine Jane Caparras | July 25, 2014 1:06 PM EST
"The Amazing Spider-man 3" has been pushed back for a much later release date in 2018, a full two years later than the original 2016 announcement. This is the first big bombshell dished out for the San Diego Comic Con this weekend.
An overview of the trade floor during the 2014 Comic-Con International Convention in San Diego, California July 24, 2014.
The original release date pegged for the third "Amazing Spider-man" installment featuring Andrew Garfield was pegged to be June 10, 2016. The new release date will be in 2018 but no definite month or day has been announced. This will be the third of the franchise with Garfield on lead after three other successful "Spider-man" movies featuring Tobey Maguire.
The fourth installment for "The Amazing Spider-man" was initially set to come out on May 4, 2018 but with the significant delay to the third film. The fourth installment, if it will in fact still push through would have to wait even longer possibly as far back as 2020.
Despite the long wait, Sony Pictures has something to offer for 2016 in the form of another superhero movie "Sinister Six" which is related to the "Spider-man" films since it features a group of six villains who are out to destroy New York City, the friendly, neighborhood webbed superhero's hometown. Some of the members of the Sinister Six such as Doc Octopus, Sandman and Electro have already made appearances in the previous "Spider-man/The Amazing Spider-man" films. The three other members of the group of sinister villains are Kraven the Hunter, Mysterio and Vulture.
Fans of the franchise will be pacified somewhat by the release of the "Sinister Six" film but many have been eagerly awaiting how Andrew Garfield's character Peter Parker will cope with the demise of his real life and on-screen sweetheart Emma Stone's character Gwen Stacey.
Meanwhile, other superhero movies have been creating buzz ahead of the comic-con. The cast of "Fantastic Four" is expected to be unveiled by 20th Century Fox .
Warner Brothers are also expected to have an exciting weekend with their own super hero flicks lined up like "Batman vs. Superman" and "Justice League."
Marvel has already finished filming "The Avengers: Age of Ultron" which is set to come out in 2015. Robert Downey Jr. has also stated ion recent reports that he is open to the possibility of doing a fourth "Iron Man" installment.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Update: Laurina Talks About Her Exit, Jessica’s Acting Background Revealed
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1