The Amazing Spider-man 3 Release Date Pushed Back to 2018 Plus Other Superhero Comic-con News
By Christine Jane Caparras | July 25, 2014 1:06 PM EST
"The Amazing Spider-man 3" has been pushed back for a much later release date in 2018, a full two years later than the original 2016 announcement. This is the first big bombshell dished out for the San Diego Comic Con this weekend.
An overview of the trade floor during the 2014 Comic-Con International Convention in San Diego, California July 24, 2014.
The original release date pegged for the third "Amazing Spider-man" installment featuring Andrew Garfield was pegged to be June 10, 2016. The new release date will be in 2018 but no definite month or day has been announced. This will be the third of the franchise with Garfield on lead after three other successful "Spider-man" movies featuring Tobey Maguire.
The fourth installment for "The Amazing Spider-man" was initially set to come out on May 4, 2018 but with the significant delay to the third film. The fourth installment, if it will in fact still push through would have to wait even longer possibly as far back as 2020.
Despite the long wait, Sony Pictures has something to offer for 2016 in the form of another superhero movie "Sinister Six" which is related to the "Spider-man" films since it features a group of six villains who are out to destroy New York City, the friendly, neighborhood webbed superhero's hometown. Some of the members of the Sinister Six such as Doc Octopus, Sandman and Electro have already made appearances in the previous "Spider-man/The Amazing Spider-man" films. The three other members of the group of sinister villains are Kraven the Hunter, Mysterio and Vulture.
Fans of the franchise will be pacified somewhat by the release of the "Sinister Six" film but many have been eagerly awaiting how Andrew Garfield's character Peter Parker will cope with the demise of his real life and on-screen sweetheart Emma Stone's character Gwen Stacey.
Meanwhile, other superhero movies have been creating buzz ahead of the comic-con. The cast of "Fantastic Four" is expected to be unveiled by 20th Century Fox .
Warner Brothers are also expected to have an exciting weekend with their own super hero flicks lined up like "Batman vs. Superman" and "Justice League."
Marvel has already finished filming "The Avengers: Age of Ultron" which is set to come out in 2015. Robert Downey Jr. has also stated ion recent reports that he is open to the possibility of doing a fourth "Iron Man" installment.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘Star Wars 7: The Force Awakens’ Leaked Dialogue Of Han Solo From Upcoming Trailer [Spoilers]
- Beyonce’s ‘Ring Off’ Isn’t About Her Alleged Crumbling Marriage to Jay Z, But About Her Parents [VIDEOS]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks