The Amazing Spider-man 3 Release Date Pushed Back to 2018 Plus Other Superhero Comic-con News
By Christine Jane Caparras | July 25, 2014 1:06 PM EST
"The Amazing Spider-man 3" has been pushed back for a much later release date in 2018, a full two years later than the original 2016 announcement. This is the first big bombshell dished out for the San Diego Comic Con this weekend.
An overview of the trade floor during the 2014 Comic-Con International Convention in San Diego, California July 24, 2014.
The original release date pegged for the third "Amazing Spider-man" installment featuring Andrew Garfield was pegged to be June 10, 2016. The new release date will be in 2018 but no definite month or day has been announced. This will be the third of the franchise with Garfield on lead after three other successful "Spider-man" movies featuring Tobey Maguire.
The fourth installment for "The Amazing Spider-man" was initially set to come out on May 4, 2018 but with the significant delay to the third film. The fourth installment, if it will in fact still push through would have to wait even longer possibly as far back as 2020.
Despite the long wait, Sony Pictures has something to offer for 2016 in the form of another superhero movie "Sinister Six" which is related to the "Spider-man" films since it features a group of six villains who are out to destroy New York City, the friendly, neighborhood webbed superhero's hometown. Some of the members of the Sinister Six such as Doc Octopus, Sandman and Electro have already made appearances in the previous "Spider-man/The Amazing Spider-man" films. The three other members of the group of sinister villains are Kraven the Hunter, Mysterio and Vulture.
Fans of the franchise will be pacified somewhat by the release of the "Sinister Six" film but many have been eagerly awaiting how Andrew Garfield's character Peter Parker will cope with the demise of his real life and on-screen sweetheart Emma Stone's character Gwen Stacey.
Meanwhile, other superhero movies have been creating buzz ahead of the comic-con. The cast of "Fantastic Four" is expected to be unveiled by 20th Century Fox .
Warner Brothers are also expected to have an exciting weekend with their own super hero flicks lined up like "Batman vs. Superman" and "Justice League."
Marvel has already finished filming "The Avengers: Age of Ultron" which is set to come out in 2015. Robert Downey Jr. has also stated ion recent reports that he is open to the possibility of doing a fourth "Iron Man" installment.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight