Fifty Shades of Grey Trailer Reveals Movie Is 'Porn,' Not A 'Date Night' Movie, Critics Say
By Tanya Diente | July 25, 2014 10:38 AM EST
Finally, the first trailer of the BDSM movie "Fifty Shades of Grey" has been released. The internet is now buzzing with female fans reacting to Jamie Dornan as Christian Grey. However, critics say the movie can already be considered as porn and not a "date night" movie especially when its US release comes a day before Valentine's Day.
The trailer reveal was initially announced on Today.com and debuted on "The Today Show" on Thursday, July 24. Lead stars of the movie Dakota Johnson and Jamie Dornan were guests on the segment of the show. However, those who tuned in to watch were only able to see a "clip" of the full trailer. Since as what the lead stars said, the full trailer is more sensual so it was deemed unsuitable for a morning show.
However, the full trailer of "Fifty Shades of Grey" was posted on Today's site. Now it's is on every news media and fans are getting giddier with excitement. While everyone is counting down to the movie's release on Feb. 13, critics have claimed it would unlikely be suitable as a "date night" movie for Valentine's Day.
Lynn Comella, a gender studies professor at the University of Nevada Las Vegas, told Today that "Fifty Shades of Grey" will unlikely be what couples would watch on their Valentine's date. Instead, the movie will spark a social event of female fans gathering together to see the movie.
"I could see groups of women getting together, close friends, making it a girlfriends' night out," she said.
She has observed that women tend to react more on the subject of BDSM. This she has noticed in adult bookstores where women would come in groups to attend seminars on bondage for beginners.
Comella specialises in the study of sexuality and popular entertainment. She claimed the racy scenes in "Fifty Shades of Grey" would more likely appeal to the female population. Likewise, those who have enjoyed reading E.L. James' books would be the first in line to the theatres.
Forbes writer Scott Mendelson also regarded "Fifty Shades of Grey" as an "unusual V-Day pick" for couples. He also considers the movie already as porn, probably due to the BDSM images E.L. James had very clearly described on her book.
Source: YouTube/ Universal Pictures UK
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Finale Spoiler: Blake Proposes To Top Favourite Of Season 2
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 1, 2014: Hope Reveals Something To Wyatt And Katie Almost Loses A Loved One [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5: Human Flesh Burgers Unveiled To Celebrate TWD’s New Season
- George Clooney Divorced Talia Balsam Years Before Getting Married to Amal Alamuddin: Know About Clooney's Ex Wife
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money