Fifty Shades of Grey Trailer Reveals Movie Is 'Porn,' Not A 'Date Night' Movie, Critics Say
By Tanya Diente | July 25, 2014 10:38 AM EST
Finally, the first trailer of the BDSM movie "Fifty Shades of Grey" has been released. The internet is now buzzing with female fans reacting to Jamie Dornan as Christian Grey. However, critics say the movie can already be considered as porn and not a "date night" movie especially when its US release comes a day before Valentine's Day.
The trailer reveal was initially announced on Today.com and debuted on "The Today Show" on Thursday, July 24. Lead stars of the movie Dakota Johnson and Jamie Dornan were guests on the segment of the show. However, those who tuned in to watch were only able to see a "clip" of the full trailer. Since as what the lead stars said, the full trailer is more sensual so it was deemed unsuitable for a morning show.
However, the full trailer of "Fifty Shades of Grey" was posted on Today's site. Now it's is on every news media and fans are getting giddier with excitement. While everyone is counting down to the movie's release on Feb. 13, critics have claimed it would unlikely be suitable as a "date night" movie for Valentine's Day.
Lynn Comella, a gender studies professor at the University of Nevada Las Vegas, told Today that "Fifty Shades of Grey" will unlikely be what couples would watch on their Valentine's date. Instead, the movie will spark a social event of female fans gathering together to see the movie.
"I could see groups of women getting together, close friends, making it a girlfriends' night out," she said.
She has observed that women tend to react more on the subject of BDSM. This she has noticed in adult bookstores where women would come in groups to attend seminars on bondage for beginners.
Comella specialises in the study of sexuality and popular entertainment. She claimed the racy scenes in "Fifty Shades of Grey" would more likely appeal to the female population. Likewise, those who have enjoyed reading E.L. James' books would be the first in line to the theatres.
Forbes writer Scott Mendelson also regarded "Fifty Shades of Grey" as an "unusual V-Day pick" for couples. He also considers the movie already as porn, probably due to the BDSM images E.L. James had very clearly described on her book.
Source: YouTube/ Universal Pictures UK
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop