Fifty Shades of Grey Trailer Reveals Movie Is 'Porn,' Not A 'Date Night' Movie, Critics Say
By Tanya Diente | July 25, 2014 10:38 AM EST
Finally, the first trailer of the BDSM movie "Fifty Shades of Grey" has been released. The internet is now buzzing with female fans reacting to Jamie Dornan as Christian Grey. However, critics say the movie can already be considered as porn and not a "date night" movie especially when its US release comes a day before Valentine's Day.
The trailer reveal was initially announced on Today.com and debuted on "The Today Show" on Thursday, July 24. Lead stars of the movie Dakota Johnson and Jamie Dornan were guests on the segment of the show. However, those who tuned in to watch were only able to see a "clip" of the full trailer. Since as what the lead stars said, the full trailer is more sensual so it was deemed unsuitable for a morning show.
However, the full trailer of "Fifty Shades of Grey" was posted on Today's site. Now it's is on every news media and fans are getting giddier with excitement. While everyone is counting down to the movie's release on Feb. 13, critics have claimed it would unlikely be suitable as a "date night" movie for Valentine's Day.
Lynn Comella, a gender studies professor at the University of Nevada Las Vegas, told Today that "Fifty Shades of Grey" will unlikely be what couples would watch on their Valentine's date. Instead, the movie will spark a social event of female fans gathering together to see the movie.
"I could see groups of women getting together, close friends, making it a girlfriends' night out," she said.
She has observed that women tend to react more on the subject of BDSM. This she has noticed in adult bookstores where women would come in groups to attend seminars on bondage for beginners.
Comella specialises in the study of sexuality and popular entertainment. She claimed the racy scenes in "Fifty Shades of Grey" would more likely appeal to the female population. Likewise, those who have enjoyed reading E.L. James' books would be the first in line to the theatres.
Forbes writer Scott Mendelson also regarded "Fifty Shades of Grey" as an "unusual V-Day pick" for couples. He also considers the movie already as porn, probably due to the BDSM images E.L. James had very clearly described on her book.
Source: YouTube/ Universal Pictures UK
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 15, 2014: Liam Confronts Quinn About Her Secret Regarding Paris [WATCH VIDEO]
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- HTC ‘Double Exposure’ Event On October 8 Could Unveil HTC Eye With 5.2-inch FHD Display
- Apple iOS 8 Can Trump Google Android 5.0 L Upon September 17 Release
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect