Fifty Shades of Grey Trailer Reveals Movie Is 'Porn,' Not A 'Date Night' Movie, Critics Say
By Tanya Diente | July 25, 2014 10:38 AM EST
Finally, the first trailer of the BDSM movie "Fifty Shades of Grey" has been released. The internet is now buzzing with female fans reacting to Jamie Dornan as Christian Grey. However, critics say the movie can already be considered as porn and not a "date night" movie especially when its US release comes a day before Valentine's Day.
The trailer reveal was initially announced on Today.com and debuted on "The Today Show" on Thursday, July 24. Lead stars of the movie Dakota Johnson and Jamie Dornan were guests on the segment of the show. However, those who tuned in to watch were only able to see a "clip" of the full trailer. Since as what the lead stars said, the full trailer is more sensual so it was deemed unsuitable for a morning show.
However, the full trailer of "Fifty Shades of Grey" was posted on Today's site. Now it's is on every news media and fans are getting giddier with excitement. While everyone is counting down to the movie's release on Feb. 13, critics have claimed it would unlikely be suitable as a "date night" movie for Valentine's Day.
Lynn Comella, a gender studies professor at the University of Nevada Las Vegas, told Today that "Fifty Shades of Grey" will unlikely be what couples would watch on their Valentine's date. Instead, the movie will spark a social event of female fans gathering together to see the movie.
"I could see groups of women getting together, close friends, making it a girlfriends' night out," she said.
She has observed that women tend to react more on the subject of BDSM. This she has noticed in adult bookstores where women would come in groups to attend seminars on bondage for beginners.
Comella specialises in the study of sexuality and popular entertainment. She claimed the racy scenes in "Fifty Shades of Grey" would more likely appeal to the female population. Likewise, those who have enjoyed reading E.L. James' books would be the first in line to the theatres.
Forbes writer Scott Mendelson also regarded "Fifty Shades of Grey" as an "unusual V-Day pick" for couples. He also considers the movie already as porn, probably due to the BDSM images E.L. James had very clearly described on her book.
Source: YouTube/ Universal Pictures UK
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 6 Spoilers: Abby Sciuto Talks Of Cote de Pablo's Character, 'I Loved Ziva But She Left Us' (Review)
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight