Rafael Nadal Set To Overtake Roger Federer Grand Slam Haul By 2017
By Lou Imperial | July 25, 2014 1:48 AM EST
Rafael Nadal is poised to equal Roger Federer's Grand Slam haul by the end of 2016 and ultimately surpass the maestro's tally by 2017, according to veteran tennis analyst Andrew Prochnow of Bleacher Reports.
Rafael Nadal of Spain and Roger Federer of Switzerland hug at the net, after Nadal won their men's singles semi-final match at the Australian Open 2014 tennis tournament in Melbourne
In his recent article on the sports site, Prochnow predicted that Nadal will win at least three more titles in the next two years simply because of his dominance at the French Open and his increasing confidence on hard-court Grand Slams at the US and Australian Open.
At 28-years old, Nadal is in his prime and is off to compete in numerous grand slams championships at least in the next three to five years. As for Federer, the tennis analyst believed the Swiss just blew his final shot at no.18 when he lost to Novak Djokovic in five sets at the Wimbledon Open championships.
"As for Federer, I personally believed prior to the 2014 season that he had one more title in him. However, I think Djokovic may have stolen that one away. While I continue to believe Federer will be a force on tour for the next couple of years, I don't see him lifting another major title in his career," Prochnow asserted in his article.
2014 US Open - Perfect Barometer for Nadal The upcoming battle in Flushing Meadows is seen as a perfect barometer to gauge Nadal's ability to stay competitive in Grand Slam hard court tournaments for more years. Last year, the Mallorcan Bull dominated the North American hard-court season by winning the Rogers Cup, Cincinnati Masters and the US Open championships.
He then followed up his hard-court success by reaching the finals of the Australian Open. Though his lackluster performance against eventual champion Stanislas Wawrinka raised some concerns on keeping his knees healthy while playing on this rugged court surface.
"The 2014 U.S. Open will obviously be a critical testing ground for Nadal's current comfort and future success on hard court," Prochnow stated.
Several tennis legends such Andre Agassi and Pete Sampras have already predicted that Nadal will eventually beat Federer as the king of Grand Slams. However, Federer has shown this year that he can still compete at the highest level. The proud Swiss is still expected to make the competition tougher for his rivals, but the focus now is not on him any longer. In the next three years, all eyes will be on Nadal and his own pursuit for greatness.
For more Rafael Nadal news, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored