Alexander Gustafsson Out, Daniel Cormier In for UFC 178
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 25, 2014 1:47 AM EST
The UFC has chosen a replacement fighter to face Jon Jones in UFC 178 and he is not to be taken lightly.
Yahoo! Sports reports that Daniel Cormier is set to fill in for the injured Alexander Gustafsson in the upcoming main event in UFC 178 on September 27 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena. The highly anticipated rematch between the reigning light heavyweight champion Jon Jones against Alexander Gustafsson has been put on hiatus after the UFC announced today that Gustafsson has suffered training injury.
The Swede brute who almost ended the dominant reign of Jones in a memorable battle at UFC 165 in Toronto suffered a meniscus tear that will sideline him for at least six months. Due to this development, a long queue of fighters has salivated at the prospect of being given an opportunity to knock out one of UFC's prized fighters. Luckily, Daniel Cormier fills that void.
A two-time Olympic wrestler and former heavyweight top contender, Cormier is an unbeaten fighter and has long lined up for a showdown with Jones. He dropped to 205 pounds this year in an effort to be given a chance to be pitted against the renowned Jones, his longtime rival. The 35-year-old Louisiana native has already stopped the tracks of formidable names such as Dan Henderson, Patrick Cummins and Hendo, his latest conquest last May. He made no secret of making Jones the next of his laurels.
"Jon Jones, you can't run away from me forever," he told commentator Joe Rogan after his victory over Hondo. "I'm the kid at the wrestling tournament that is always in your bracket. No matter where you go, I'm coming. You better hurry because I'm getting better."
The 27-year-old Jones also has expressed his desire to meet his fellow wrestler. After his victory at UFC 172 in April against Glover Teixeira, he declared his intention to face Cormier even if the next in line is a rematch with Gustafsson. The reigning champion since 2011 has been on a dominant streak sans the close shave with Gustafsson recording wins against big names such as Quinton Jackson, Lyoto Machida and Victor Belfort.
Now that Gustafsson's injury paves the way for a match between the two wrestlers, they both get the fight they wish for.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build