Pilot won Over Travolta Disclosure Case
By Paula Marie Navarra | July 24, 2014 5:55 PM EST
Douglas Gotterba, a former pilot of Alto, was allowed by a court in California to disclose the intimate relationship he had with his former employer, John Travolta, for a book that he plans to write.
According to Who magazine, the pilot has decided "to tell the story of his life and those involved in it."
Martin Singer, Travolta's attorney, then sent Gotterba letters claiming that he was breaching a confidentiality agreement on his termination papers.
The pilot then rebuttal claiming to The Independent, that despite the fact that he did sign a three-page termination agreement, it did not have any clause that prohibits him to reveal information about his employer.
He also said that the documents are inauthentic, claiming that the paperwork was just a draft of the agreement.
Travolta's lawyer then responded with an anti-SLAPP motion asserting his rights to petition and question Gotteba's lawsuit.
They would want to know if the case was based on the letter alone or the confidentially agreement.
Arthur Gilbert, the Presiding Judge of the case, ruled in favour of Gotterba on July 22, stating that the lawsuit was based on "the validity of the asserted termination agreements."
He clarified that the basis of the complaint was not the letter sent by Singer, even though he admits, it did trigger the pilot's complaint and may serve as an evidence to support the complaint.
"If Travolta would have won, it would lead to the absurd result that a person receiving a demand letter threatening legal action for breach of contract would be precluded from seeking declaratory relief to determine the validity of the contract," stated the judge to Who Magazine.
"Declaratory relief would be limited to situations where the parties have not communicated their disagreement."
Despite the win, Travolta's lawyers stated that even though the court should have Gotterba's lawsuit at the outset, ultimately he will not prevail on his claim.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers For Sept. 22-26, 2014: Consequences Of The Crichton-Clark Blast
- 'Dancing With The Stars' (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Week 2 Spoilers: Things To Expect; Find Out Which Choreographer Is Quitting
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- Scotland Voted Against Independence, Early Results Indicate