Ideological Support Swells for Scottish Independence
By Kalyan Kumar | July 24, 2014 5:00 PM EST
Despite the nationalist concerns by the UK political elite, support is welling up from many quarters asking the Scottish not to dither in making a choice for independence, reports the Guardian. A report in Guardian talks about the support offered by top leader of the Welsh nationalist party Plaid Cymru. In an interview its leader Leanne Wood said solidarity through divergence was a better way of showing people outside of Scotland what is possible.
Britain's Queen Elizabeth (Front L-R), Prince Philip, Prince Harry, Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge and his wife, Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge share a light moment as they stand on the balcony of Buckingham Palace in the annual Trooping of the Colour ceremony to celebrate the Queen's official birthday in central London, in this June 14, 2014 file photo. Prince William is Britain's most popular royal and is regarded more favourably by the public than either Queen Elizabeth, his grandmother, or Prince Charles, his father and heir to the throne, a poll showed on Sunday.
On 18 September 2014 Scotland will be undertaking a referendum on independence to vote yes or no to a proposal whether it should become an independent country and separate from the UK.
Wood described it illogical and perverse the suggestion that voting in favour of Scottish independence would fail the solidarity with the people of England and Wales.
Wood noted that the Scottish electorate does not trust the promises of more powers by Westminster parties in the event of a No vote. So the only way that people of Scotland can secure additional powers will be by voting yes to the independence.
In fact Wood wants Scotland to emerge as a beacon of social justice to counter the spiteful rightwing rule of the UK government.
Plaid said the echo of independence debate in Scotland has the potential to restate the long-held position that Wales ought to be independent. Many in her own party believe that if Scotland does become independent there is scope for a a reassessment whether Wales must follow suit.
Opportunity for New Politics
Wood said a vote for independence is not being better or superior in any way. The vote will be an opportunity to forge a new politics that is closer to the values of the people there.
Wood said a new Scotland can give people in Wales and other progressive friends in England opportunities to show demonstrable examples of an alternative to neo-liberalism and usher in a politics of austerity.
Imagining Scotland as an independent country can be exciting. This is because the new state will be approaching the public services in a different and progressive way compared to what is being practiced in the UK. There must be collaboration not competition.
Also the solidarity people in Scotland can create a society that rejects the poison of spiteful right-wing rule and build a socially just country as a beacon in these islands. Wood said a similar campaign for Welsh independence would naturally reflect the broad span of the Scottish movement.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
Join the Conversation
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Strike vs ISIS Countdown: Arab Nations Signify Intent to Join U.S. Fight
- Germany to Send Soldiers to Iraq, Bans Displays of Support for ISIS
- Russia to Create Emergency Fund for Sanctions-Hit Companies, to Build New Rail Line Bypassing Ukraine
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up