MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
By Reissa Su | July 24, 2014 4:22 PM EST
As Malaysia Airlines suffers another blow with the aftermath of the MH17 crash over the Ukraine border, Australia said the latest disaster will not affect the ongoing search operations for the lost MH370.
A Malaysian air crash investigator (R) inspects the crash site of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17, near the village of Rozsypne, Donetsk region, July 22, 2014. A train carrying the remains of many of the 298 victims of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 arrived in a Ukrainian government-held city on Tuesday on the first leg of their final journey home to be reclaimed by their families.
According to reports, underwater surveys continue in the effort to recover plane debris or at least some sign of the lost MH370. The Australian government remains committed to finding the Malaysian jet that disappeared in early March including its passengers.
Angus Houston, head of the MH370 recovery operations, was sent to Ukraine to oversee the retrieval and transport of bodies of the Australian passengers aboard the downed MH17 on July 7.
Reports said Australian deputy prime minister Warren Truss had insisted that the effort to recover the lost MH370 will not be affected with the deployment of Houston to Ukraine. The former defence chief of Australia is expected to be back in Australia after several weeks.
Truss said Australia's commitment to the search for MH370 is "not diminished" by the MH17 disaster. He added that there were things needed to be addressed urgently but the MH370 search will not be interrupted.
The search crew for MH370 is mapping the ocean floor off Australia's western coast before resuming undersea search which is expected to be delayed from August to September. The Malaysian Boeing 777 plane had disappeared while carrying 239 people on board from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing less than five months before the downing of MH17.
Truss said the underwater search is expected to last for a year with Houston's role to be temporarily given to Judith Zielke, a senior Australian official. He reiterated that Australia "owes it to the families" of the people aboard MH370 and the rest of the world to solve the mystery.
Meanwhile, a public memorial service has been held for the 298 victims of MH17 at St Paul's Cathedral in Melbourne. More than 1,200 people attended the service to mourn for the hundreds of lives lost including the 28 Australian passengers.
Families of the Australian passengers who died in the downing of the plane welcomed the support of the community.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet