David Price To Cardinals, Jake Peavy to Giants Trades Heating Up
By Lou Imperial | July 24, 2014 3:56 PM EST
The St. Louis Cardinals have emerged as the top trade destination for Tampa Bay Rays starting pitcher David Price, according to a source close to situation on Thursday.
The Cards are in the thick of the competitive race in the National League central, currently boasting a record of 54-47. However, the Red Birds are 5-5 in their last 10 games and dropped their previous three games.
MLB: San Francisco Giants at Oakland Athletics
According to ESPN MLB insider Buster Olney, St. Louis should be the front runner along with the Seattle Mariners and Los Angeles Dodgers to acquire Price if the Rays finally decide to let their ace pitcher walk away.
"Rival officials see the Cardinals, Mariners and Dodgers as the three teams best positioned to acquire David Price from the Rays." Olney stated in his report. "In the Insider-only piece, Olney looks at the pros and cons for each club in making a big trade for Price."
Despite tremendous trade speculations, The 28-year old Price has kept his composure and put up a solid 10-7 record with 3.06 ERA, 173 strikeouts and 1.04 WHIP. The former CY Young winner has been the subject of trade rumors for the past two seasons, but many analysts predicted he will ultimately be dealt before the trade deadline.
Giants Pursuing Peavy
The San Francisco Giants are reportedly trying to get Boston Red Sox hurler Jake Peavy to offset the absence of Matt Cain, who has been dealing with a bothering elbow injury.
CSN Bay Area MLB reporter Andrew Baggarly said that the Giants are looking to add more depth to their starting rotation, and he believed Peavy is an ideal fit for the National League West contender. "With Matt Cain's elbow issues creating significant uncertainty, it appears that San Francisco could have a real need to add depth.
"While complicating factors make the Giants a tough buyer to line up, Baggarly believed that Jake Peavy of the Red Sox appears to make a good deal of sense on paper," MLB Rumors reported on Tuesday.
The 33-year old Peavy has a dismal 1-9 record with 4.72 ERA and 100 strikeouts this season for the struggling Red Sox. The former CY Young Award winner is also drawing interest from the Cardinals.
For more MLB trade rumors, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier