Bindi Irwin Remembers Crocodile Hunter Dad Steve Irwin on Her 16th Birthday
By Anne Lu | July 24, 2014 3:49 PM EST
Steve Irwin died almost eight years ago, but his daughter Bindi Irwin still can’t get over his death. On her 16th birthday on Thursday, Bindi remembers the late Crocodile Hunter.
“That is the biggest lie you will ever hear,” the young conservationist told People magazine of the advice, “time heals all wounds,” which people have been told her when she lost her father.
“That kind of sadness never goes away. It’s like losing a piece of your heart that you never get back.”
Nevertheless, Bindi, her mum Terri and her brother Robert, who is now 10, have able to continue with their lives without letting Steve’s memory die.
“When you lose a loved one, you come to these crossroads,” she said. “You can take the path that leads you down the aisle of sadness, or you can say, ‘I’m never going to let this person’s memory die. I’m going to make sure everything they worked for continues.’”
She also revealed that her father wrote her letters in the past, and that she reads them sometimes.
“Reading those letters back is special,” she said. “I’m grateful he wrote them. Those little things remind you of him and give you strength to keep going.”
Steve died on Sep 4, 2006 after being struck by a stingray in the heart. His death was recounted by cameraman Justin Lyons in March.
“He had a two-inch-wide injury over his heart with blood and fluid coming out of it and we had to get him back to the boat as fast as we can,” he told the hosts of “Studio 10.”
Lyons, who was the sole witness to the fateful event, swore he would never release the footage of Steve’s last moments out of respect for his family, but that’s not enough for Bindi.
“It was really hurtful,” Bindi told Who magazine. “For as long as I live, I’ll never listen to it. It’s wrong as a family for us to hear about it.”
Bindi celebrates her 16th birthday with an animal onesie party at the Australia Zoo.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia