232 Teeth Extracted from a Teenager: World Record
By Sarah Thomas | July 24, 2014 3:29 PM EST
A 17-year-old boy, Ashiq Gavai of Buldhana, India, was experiencing tremendous pain in his jaw for eighteen months, and the local doctors from his village could not diagnose the problem. The persistent pain and swelling on the right side of his mouth led him to travel from his village to the city in search of medical help.
A Uruguay fan bares his teeth, representing Luis Suarez, before the 2014 World Cup round of 16 game between Colombia and Uruguay at the Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro June 28, 2014. REUTERS/Sergio
His father, fearing that his son was suffering from cancer, took him to JJ Hospital Mumbai. After a series of tests, doctors found an abnormal growth on the lower right side of his jaw, this was affecting the second molar.
What happened next was something they did not expect. Doctors described his condition as "very rare" and stated that they had created a world record. Sunanda Dhivare-Palwankar, head of the hospital's dental department explained that Ashiq was diagnosed with complex composite odontoma, which is a condition in which one single gum forms lots of teeth. "It's a sort of benign tumour," she said.
Initially, they were not clear as to what could be done, and so they decided to go in for surgery, Dhivare said. Describing the process to remove the ingrown teeth, she said that at first they began by removing the smaller-sized teeth from the abnormal molar. The teeth that caused the swelling were not of the same size, they differed, some being as small as a "grain of mustard" while some were "almost the size of a marble".
Dr Dhivare was assisted by two main surgeons and two assisting surgeons. They performed an intra oral procedure for a successful removal of the tumour. In the process, they removed a few loose teeth and some of it was in a cluster.
The end result of the seven-hour surgery was shocking to the doctors themselves. They had removed a lot of teeth from the molar and on counting it, they found out that the total number was 232. The doctor herself said, "The fact that it was coming from a single molar was very unique."
The tumour, she explained, was an abnormal growth of the second molar which did not come out, and since it was also pressing on the wisdom tooth, they had no choice but to remove it as well. The hospital has decided to take the case to the Guinness Book of Records for the most teeth extracted from one person.
"According to medical literature available on the condition, it is known to affect the upper jaw and a maximum of 37 teeth have been extracted from the tumour in the past. But in Ashik's case, the tumour was found deep in the lower jaw and it had hundreds of teeth," said Dhivare. She also confessed that she had not seen anything like that in her 30-year career.
Gavai now has 28 normal teeth and will go through follow up surgery to repair the hole. His family and the doctors are happy that the boy is now relieved and can eat and drink normally, without pain.
Pictures can be seen here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Maria Menounos Lost 40 Pounds; She Follows a Low Carb Vegetarian Diet, Her Weight Loss and Fitness Secrets Revealed
- 'Django Unchained' Actress Danielle Watts Mistaken As Prostitute And Arrested; Accused Police of Racism
- Airborne Version of Ebola Virus Could Wipe Out 1.2 Million; Aussie Doctor Appeals For Help
- A Wife's Happiness is More Crucial Than Her Husband's For a Long Lasting, Happy Marriage, Finds Study
- Kim Kardashian's Pregnancy Glow Returns; Rumour Mill Suggests That Kim Is Pregnant
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date