Talking to Strangers is Good for You: Study Reveals
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 24, 2014 3:14 PM EST
“Never talk to a stranger”; didn’t your mom or granny tell you so? Sure they did.
But probably we have come a long way since they warned you.
According to a new study, talking to strangers increases one’s well being to a great extent.
Boris Johnson is willingly photographed on the tube … 'You do not, legally, have to get permission from those you photograph in the street, on the train or sitting on a bus.'
This work appeared in The Journal of Experimental Psychology: General.
The study was conducted by a team of researchers from the University Of Chicago Booth School Of Business.
“This misunderstanding is particularly unfortunate for a person’s wellbeing given that commuting is consistently reported to be one of the least pleasant experiences in the average person’s day.“This experiment suggests that a surprising antidote for an otherwise unpleasant experience could be sitting very close by,” says Nicholas Epley, a professor at the university.
In this work, there were nine parts involving over 100 Chicago commuters interacting with strangers while others prefer to sit in solitude or did whatever they wanted to do. They were travelling by train, bus or cab.
Participants confirmed that initially that they doubted that talking to a stranger would create a negative impact; some also felt it would potentially be a hit to their productivity.
But the study found in reality, talking to a stranger ended up being a warm positive experience which did not have any impact on productivity.
“Either people do not get as much done on the train sitting alone as they expect to, or forming a new connection comes to be defined as a reasonably productive use of time after having done it,” the researchers noted.
The team thinks that most people usually think that the person sitting just opposite has no interest in connecting, so often hesitate to start a conversation.
If being social contributes so much to your well being, let solitude take a back seat for a while and enjoy creating new bonds with new people.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- New String Of Ebola In The Democratic Republic Of The Congo; DFAT Advises Against Travel
- Sex Change Surgery Gets Enhanced Cover From US Insurance Firms: Obama Regime's Policy Change Became The Trigger
- Sex With 20 Women Or More Reduces Risk Of Prostate Cancer, Canadian Research Says
- From 30-Inch To 16-Inch Waistline, Woman Shrinks Self With Corset [Video]
- Red Cross Aussie Nurse Says Australia’s Ebola Visa Ban Is Embarrassing
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family