From Miami Heat to Cleveland Cavaliers, Ray Allen to Follow LeBron James
By James Patrick Quizon | July 24, 2014 2:32 PM EST
Another veteran shooter in Ray Allen is joining LeBron James with the Cleveland Cavaliers after choosing to play one more year over retirement. He follows the lead of another shooter in Mike Miller who joined The King earlier in the 2014 offseason.
Miami Heat's Ray Allen slam dunks against the San Antonio Spurs during the second half in Game 1 of their NBA Finals basketball series in San Antonio, Texas June 5, 2014.
Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe broke the story via Twitter.
NBA source tells Globe that Ray Allen is leaning toward returning for 19th season and joining LeBron James with #cavaliers
— gary washburn (@GwashburnGlobe) July 24, 2014
Allen and Miller were teammates with LeBron with the Miami Heat in 2013 when the trio won the championship versus the San Antonio Spurs. Miller was also part of the Miami champion team that beat the Oklahoma City Thunder in 2012.
Both players are way past their prime but both still can hit their shots consistently specifically behind the arc. Miller was a crucial player in the 2012 title run especially in the NBA Finals.
Meanwhile, Allen’s most memorable contribution to the Heat championship was the three-pointer that forced overtime in Game 6 against the Spurs. Miami went on to win that game and eventually, the best-of-seven series.
With the Cavaliers, both are expected to contribute despite their age—Allen is 39 years old while Miller is 34 years old. Cleveland has a great core of James, Kyrie Irving, Dion Waiters, Anderson Varejao and if not traded, Andrew Wiggins and Allen and Miller are expected to get back-up minutes at the shooting guard and small forward spots.
The Cavaliers are indeed loading up on shooters and veterans around James as they also signed veteran shooter James Jones earlier in the offseason.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS