From Miami Heat to Cleveland Cavaliers, Ray Allen to Follow LeBron James
By James Patrick Quizon | July 24, 2014 2:32 PM EST
Another veteran shooter in Ray Allen is joining LeBron James with the Cleveland Cavaliers after choosing to play one more year over retirement. He follows the lead of another shooter in Mike Miller who joined The King earlier in the 2014 offseason.
Miami Heat's Ray Allen slam dunks against the San Antonio Spurs during the second half in Game 1 of their NBA Finals basketball series in San Antonio, Texas June 5, 2014.
Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe broke the story via Twitter.
NBA source tells Globe that Ray Allen is leaning toward returning for 19th season and joining LeBron James with #cavaliers
— gary washburn (@GwashburnGlobe) July 24, 2014
Allen and Miller were teammates with LeBron with the Miami Heat in 2013 when the trio won the championship versus the San Antonio Spurs. Miller was also part of the Miami champion team that beat the Oklahoma City Thunder in 2012.
Both players are way past their prime but both still can hit their shots consistently specifically behind the arc. Miller was a crucial player in the 2012 title run especially in the NBA Finals.
Meanwhile, Allen’s most memorable contribution to the Heat championship was the three-pointer that forced overtime in Game 6 against the Spurs. Miami went on to win that game and eventually, the best-of-seven series.
With the Cavaliers, both are expected to contribute despite their age—Allen is 39 years old while Miller is 34 years old. Cleveland has a great core of James, Kyrie Irving, Dion Waiters, Anderson Varejao and if not traded, Andrew Wiggins and Allen and Miller are expected to get back-up minutes at the shooting guard and small forward spots.
The Cavaliers are indeed loading up on shooters and veterans around James as they also signed veteran shooter James Jones earlier in the offseason.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide