From Miami Heat to Cleveland Cavaliers, Ray Allen to Follow LeBron James
By James Patrick Quizon | July 24, 2014 2:32 PM EST
Another veteran shooter in Ray Allen is joining LeBron James with the Cleveland Cavaliers after choosing to play one more year over retirement. He follows the lead of another shooter in Mike Miller who joined The King earlier in the 2014 offseason.
Miami Heat's Ray Allen slam dunks against the San Antonio Spurs during the second half in Game 1 of their NBA Finals basketball series in San Antonio, Texas June 5, 2014.
Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe broke the story via Twitter.
NBA source tells Globe that Ray Allen is leaning toward returning for 19th season and joining LeBron James with #cavaliers
— gary washburn (@GwashburnGlobe) July 24, 2014
Allen and Miller were teammates with LeBron with the Miami Heat in 2013 when the trio won the championship versus the San Antonio Spurs. Miller was also part of the Miami champion team that beat the Oklahoma City Thunder in 2012.
Both players are way past their prime but both still can hit their shots consistently specifically behind the arc. Miller was a crucial player in the 2012 title run especially in the NBA Finals.
Meanwhile, Allen’s most memorable contribution to the Heat championship was the three-pointer that forced overtime in Game 6 against the Spurs. Miami went on to win that game and eventually, the best-of-seven series.
With the Cavaliers, both are expected to contribute despite their age—Allen is 39 years old while Miller is 34 years old. Cleveland has a great core of James, Kyrie Irving, Dion Waiters, Anderson Varejao and if not traded, Andrew Wiggins and Allen and Miller are expected to get back-up minutes at the shooting guard and small forward spots.
The Cavaliers are indeed loading up on shooters and veterans around James as they also signed veteran shooter James Jones earlier in the offseason.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy