James Rodriguez on $114M Transfer to Real Madrid: 'I'm Very Happy and I Want to Make History Here'
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | July 24, 2014 2:04 PM EST
World Cup star James Rodriguez inked a six-year contract to Real Madrid for a reported fee of around €80 million or $114 million in Australia. He will be wearing the Number 10 shirt which last worn by Mesut Özil.
Colombia's soccer player James Rodriguez holds up his new Real Madrid jersey during a presentation at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium in Madrid, July 22, 2014. Real Madrid have signed Rodriguez from Monaco on a six-year contract, the La Liga club said on Tuesday. The World Cup's Golden Boot winner with six goals, is Real's second major signing of the transfer window after Germany midfielder Toni Kroos from Bayern Munich. No details of the fee for Rodriguez were disclosed but media reports said it was around 80 million euros ($107.9 million).
In an article from UEFA.com, the 23-year old athlete happily stated during his presentation at the Santiago Bernabeu, Spain on Tuesday evening that he wanted to make history in the Spanish capital.
"This club is used to winning. I always followed Real Madrid and it was my dream to play here; my idol was Zinedine Zidane," he stated. The Columbian national said that it took a lot of efforts to make his dream a reality. He said that it tasted much better once a person accomplish things that takes more efforts to achieve.
The top scoring FIFA World Cup athlete felt that he was physically and mentally ready for the pressure that comes along with his transfer to Real Madrid.
"It's a pleasure to find myself among so many stars; I'm sure I'll learn from everyone. I will never forget this day," he stated.
Real Madrid's free kick specialist readily welcomed James Rodriguez into the team. In a Twitter post he stated: "Another great player joins @realmadrid, welcome @jamesdrodriguez, enjoy today!!!" To which, Rodriguez replied: "Thank you @GarethBale11 Can't wait to meet you and the team."
With the reported $114 million fee that Rodriguez receives, it makes him the fourth most costly transfer in the history of football. According to an article from The Guardian, Gareth Bale had the most expensive transfer to Real Madrid with a reported fee of £86 million or AU$154 million. The second most expensive transfer was with Cristiano Ronaldo's transfer to Real Madrid for a reported amount of £80 million or AU$143 million. Luis Suárez transferred to Barcelona for a reported fee of £75 million or AU$135 million.
James Rodriguez earned his unexpected international football fame when he scored six goals for his courtry during the FIFA World Cup 2014 in Brazil earlier this month. He will embark his brand new football career come mid-September as Real Madrid will begin the defence in the group stage at the UEFA Champions League.
Read the tweets below:
— Gareth Bale (@GarethBale11) July 22, 2014
Thank you @GarethBale11 Can't wait to meet you and the team. #allin #HalaMadrid — James Rodríguez (@jamesdrodriguez) July 22, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?