James Rodriguez on $114M Transfer to Real Madrid: 'I'm Very Happy and I Want to Make History Here'
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | July 24, 2014 2:04 PM EST
World Cup star James Rodriguez inked a six-year contract to Real Madrid for a reported fee of around €80 million or $114 million in Australia. He will be wearing the Number 10 shirt which last worn by Mesut Özil.
Colombia's soccer player James Rodriguez holds up his new Real Madrid jersey during a presentation at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium in Madrid, July 22, 2014. Real Madrid have signed Rodriguez from Monaco on a six-year contract, the La Liga club said on Tuesday. The World Cup's Golden Boot winner with six goals, is Real's second major signing of the transfer window after Germany midfielder Toni Kroos from Bayern Munich. No details of the fee for Rodriguez were disclosed but media reports said it was around 80 million euros ($107.9 million).
In an article from UEFA.com, the 23-year old athlete happily stated during his presentation at the Santiago Bernabeu, Spain on Tuesday evening that he wanted to make history in the Spanish capital.
"This club is used to winning. I always followed Real Madrid and it was my dream to play here; my idol was Zinedine Zidane," he stated. The Columbian national said that it took a lot of efforts to make his dream a reality. He said that it tasted much better once a person accomplish things that takes more efforts to achieve.
The top scoring FIFA World Cup athlete felt that he was physically and mentally ready for the pressure that comes along with his transfer to Real Madrid.
"It's a pleasure to find myself among so many stars; I'm sure I'll learn from everyone. I will never forget this day," he stated.
Real Madrid's free kick specialist readily welcomed James Rodriguez into the team. In a Twitter post he stated: "Another great player joins @realmadrid, welcome @jamesdrodriguez, enjoy today!!!" To which, Rodriguez replied: "Thank you @GarethBale11 Can't wait to meet you and the team."
With the reported $114 million fee that Rodriguez receives, it makes him the fourth most costly transfer in the history of football. According to an article from The Guardian, Gareth Bale had the most expensive transfer to Real Madrid with a reported fee of £86 million or AU$154 million. The second most expensive transfer was with Cristiano Ronaldo's transfer to Real Madrid for a reported amount of £80 million or AU$143 million. Luis Suárez transferred to Barcelona for a reported fee of £75 million or AU$135 million.
James Rodriguez earned his unexpected international football fame when he scored six goals for his courtry during the FIFA World Cup 2014 in Brazil earlier this month. He will embark his brand new football career come mid-September as Real Madrid will begin the defence in the group stage at the UEFA Champions League.
Read the tweets below:
— Gareth Bale (@GarethBale11) July 22, 2014
Thank you @GarethBale11 Can't wait to meet you and the team. #allin #HalaMadrid — James Rodríguez (@jamesdrodriguez) July 22, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’