Australia Basketball News: Dante Exum, Boomers Ready for FIBA World Cup 2014 in Spain
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | July 24, 2014 1:24 PM EST
Dante Exum, one of the promising players in the NBA, has declared that the Australian basketball national team this year is one of the best in Aussie basketball history. Exum, along with the rest of the Boomers, is back in the country to prepare for the FIBA World Cup in Spain set in August later this year.
San Antonio Spurs Patty Mills of Australia (L) celebrates with Boris Diaw of France (C) and Tim Duncan against the Miami Heat during the first half in Game 5 of their NBA Finals basketball series in San Antonio, Texas, June 15, 2014.
Exum was drafted by the Utah Jazz as the fifth overall pick in the 2014 NBA Draft and is considered one of the top rookies to join the league this season.
"The excitement of me and Bear [Bairstow] getting drafted, Patty and Baynes with an NBA championship, there's so much buzz around the game and people wanting to get involved,'' Exum said to the Sydney Morning Herald. "It's been really good. Coach [Quin] Snyder has been introducing me into the program and it's exciting.”
Patty Mills is a member of the 2014 champion squad San Antonio Spurs and was a key member in their run to the 2014 NBA title. He is joined fellow Australian Aron Baynes in the Spurs roster.
Mills will most likely miss the World Cup in Spain but Baynes is expected to suit up for the national team. Other NBAers in the line-up are Matthew Dellavedova of the Cleveland Cavaliers and Cameron Bairstow of the Chicago Bulls.
Other Boomers in the pool that will participate in the Australian training camp include Angus Brandt (Sydney Kings), Adam Gibson (Adelaide 36ers), Chris Goulding (Melbourne United), Damian Martin (Perth Wildcats), Lucas Walker (Melbourne United) and Mark Worthington (Melbourne United) from Australia’s National Basketball League (NBL).
Those playing from Europe/America are David Anderson (Strasbourg, France), Ryan Broekhoff (Besiktas, Turkey), Joe Ingles (Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Israel), Brok Motum (Bologna, Italy), Brad Newley (Gran Canaria, Spain), Ben Simmons (Montverde Academy, USA) and Nathan Jawai (Galatasaray, Turkey)
"I still think we can do something special in Spain.'' Dellavedova stated in the same article.
To do something special, Australia has to first survive its group that includes Angola, South Korea, Lithuania, Mexico and Slovenia. The Boomers are pegged to advance from the group stage and expected to advance to the knockout stages.
The FIBA World Cup 2014 in Spain is scheduled from August 30 to September 14, 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown