Commonwealth Games 2014: John Barrowman’s Gay Kiss Causes Controversy [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | July 24, 2014 12:22 PM EST
John Barrowman’s gay kiss at the Commonwealth Games 2014 opening ceremony has got everyone talking.
On Wednesday, the former “Torchwood” star and comedienne Karen Dunbar opened the multi-sport event with the song “Welcome to Scotland” in Glasgow.
A performer jumps in kangaroo boots during the opening ceremony for the 2014 Commonwealth Games at Celtic Park in Glasgow, Scotland, July 23, 2014. REUTERS/Jim Young
The performance itself has divided viewers, who either thought that it was fun or just meh.
However, it was Barrowman’s kissing of another male dancer that was controversial.
As part of the opening act, Barrowman entered the scene and quickly kissed a male “bride” on the mouth before holding him by the hand to a mock Gretna Green stage.
Watch it here:
The same-sex kiss is viewed as a politically motivated act that deftly shows Barrowman’s support of gay marriage, which remains illegal in 42 out of 53 Commonwealth countries.
There are 71 nations participating at the current 2014 Commonwealth Games.
Viewers have praised the actor and the event’s organisers for championing homosexuality in that brief act. Some noted that the kiss and the choice of hosts – Barroman and Dunbar, who are both openly gay – were clear statements that homophobia has no place in the country.
— Chris(안지오) (@Christine__Ahn) July 24, 2014
John Barrowman kissed a boy and I liked it. — Julie Mars (@msjuliemars) July 24, 2014
John Barrowman kissing a guy on TV is pretty cool when it's illegal to be gay in 46 of the 53 Commonwealth countries #EmpireStrikesBack
— Kieran Turner-Dave (@ktd_91) July 24, 2014
So they had John barrowman (Jack Harkness) kiss a guy in the opening ceremony. I love national trolling for a good cause. — Diamanda Hagan (@Diamandahagan) July 24, 2014
Others were not so impressed with Barrowman’s opening number, though it’s unclear if it’s because of the gay kiss. Even without the kiss, the production, according to some reviews, just fell flat.
Barrowman didn’t mind. He retweeted some of the negative feedbacks he got, saying that he just doesn’t care.
I am retwtin the neg because I want u all to see how bitter and Nasty and Neg some people r:) I am so happy right now. Jb
— John Barrowman News (@Team_Barrowman) July 23, 2014
I'm Scottish and u can never take that away no matter what your politics are. Bitterness makes u ugly and old very fast:) happy jb — John Barrowman News (@Team_Barrowman) July 23, 2014
The 2014 Commonwealth Games opened July 23 and will conclude on August 3.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Fernando Alonso Leaves Ferrari 'For Two Reasons'
- Roger Federer Says He Has Never Seen Rafael Nadal Play So Bad, Wishes That The Spaniard Recuperate Well From Appendicitis
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nick Kyrgios Holds Twitter Q&A, Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time And His Favourite Superhero
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight