Commonwealth Games 2014: John Barrowman’s Gay Kiss Causes Controversy [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | July 24, 2014 12:22 PM EST
John Barrowman’s gay kiss at the Commonwealth Games 2014 opening ceremony has got everyone talking.
On Wednesday, the former “Torchwood” star and comedienne Karen Dunbar opened the multi-sport event with the song “Welcome to Scotland” in Glasgow.
A performer jumps in kangaroo boots during the opening ceremony for the 2014 Commonwealth Games at Celtic Park in Glasgow, Scotland, July 23, 2014. REUTERS/Jim Young
The performance itself has divided viewers, who either thought that it was fun or just meh.
However, it was Barrowman’s kissing of another male dancer that was controversial.
As part of the opening act, Barrowman entered the scene and quickly kissed a male “bride” on the mouth before holding him by the hand to a mock Gretna Green stage.
Watch it here:
The same-sex kiss is viewed as a politically motivated act that deftly shows Barrowman’s support of gay marriage, which remains illegal in 42 out of 53 Commonwealth countries.
There are 71 nations participating at the current 2014 Commonwealth Games.
Viewers have praised the actor and the event’s organisers for championing homosexuality in that brief act. Some noted that the kiss and the choice of hosts – Barroman and Dunbar, who are both openly gay – were clear statements that homophobia has no place in the country.
— Chris(안지오) (@Christine__Ahn) July 24, 2014
John Barrowman kissed a boy and I liked it. — Julie Mars (@msjuliemars) July 24, 2014
John Barrowman kissing a guy on TV is pretty cool when it's illegal to be gay in 46 of the 53 Commonwealth countries #EmpireStrikesBack
— Kieran Turner-Dave (@ktd_91) July 24, 2014
So they had John barrowman (Jack Harkness) kiss a guy in the opening ceremony. I love national trolling for a good cause. — Diamanda Hagan (@Diamandahagan) July 24, 2014
Others were not so impressed with Barrowman’s opening number, though it’s unclear if it’s because of the gay kiss. Even without the kiss, the production, according to some reviews, just fell flat.
Barrowman didn’t mind. He retweeted some of the negative feedbacks he got, saying that he just doesn’t care.
I am retwtin the neg because I want u all to see how bitter and Nasty and Neg some people r:) I am so happy right now. Jb
— John Barrowman News (@Team_Barrowman) July 23, 2014
I'm Scottish and u can never take that away no matter what your politics are. Bitterness makes u ugly and old very fast:) happy jb — John Barrowman News (@Team_Barrowman) July 23, 2014
The 2014 Commonwealth Games opened July 23 and will conclude on August 3.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet