Commonwealth Games 2014: John Barrowman’s Gay Kiss Causes Controversy [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | July 24, 2014 12:22 PM EST
John Barrowman’s gay kiss at the Commonwealth Games 2014 opening ceremony has got everyone talking.
On Wednesday, the former “Torchwood” star and comedienne Karen Dunbar opened the multi-sport event with the song “Welcome to Scotland” in Glasgow.
A performer jumps in kangaroo boots during the opening ceremony for the 2014 Commonwealth Games at Celtic Park in Glasgow, Scotland, July 23, 2014. REUTERS/Jim Young
The performance itself has divided viewers, who either thought that it was fun or just meh.
However, it was Barrowman’s kissing of another male dancer that was controversial.
As part of the opening act, Barrowman entered the scene and quickly kissed a male “bride” on the mouth before holding him by the hand to a mock Gretna Green stage.
Watch it here:
The same-sex kiss is viewed as a politically motivated act that deftly shows Barrowman’s support of gay marriage, which remains illegal in 42 out of 53 Commonwealth countries.
There are 71 nations participating at the current 2014 Commonwealth Games.
Viewers have praised the actor and the event’s organisers for championing homosexuality in that brief act. Some noted that the kiss and the choice of hosts – Barroman and Dunbar, who are both openly gay – were clear statements that homophobia has no place in the country.
— Chris(안지오) (@Christine__Ahn) July 24, 2014
John Barrowman kissed a boy and I liked it. — Julie Mars (@msjuliemars) July 24, 2014
John Barrowman kissing a guy on TV is pretty cool when it's illegal to be gay in 46 of the 53 Commonwealth countries #EmpireStrikesBack
— Kieran Turner-Dave (@ktd_91) July 24, 2014
So they had John barrowman (Jack Harkness) kiss a guy in the opening ceremony. I love national trolling for a good cause. — Diamanda Hagan (@Diamandahagan) July 24, 2014
Others were not so impressed with Barrowman’s opening number, though it’s unclear if it’s because of the gay kiss. Even without the kiss, the production, according to some reviews, just fell flat.
Barrowman didn’t mind. He retweeted some of the negative feedbacks he got, saying that he just doesn’t care.
I am retwtin the neg because I want u all to see how bitter and Nasty and Neg some people r:) I am so happy right now. Jb
— John Barrowman News (@Team_Barrowman) July 23, 2014
I'm Scottish and u can never take that away no matter what your politics are. Bitterness makes u ugly and old very fast:) happy jb — John Barrowman News (@Team_Barrowman) July 23, 2014
The 2014 Commonwealth Games opened July 23 and will conclude on August 3.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’