Australia and U.S. Once Belonged to Supercontinent Nuna - Study
By Reissa Su | July 24, 2014 12:03 PM EST
Australia and the United States may have been connected long ago. A new study from the University of Tasmania researchers analysed old sedimentary rocks on the island and those from the American states of Idaho, Montana and some parts of British Columbia.
The researchers found zircon and monazite minerals in both rock samples. They also found a similar pattern in sedimentary rocks from Australia and the U.S.
According to scientists, the minerals may have been deposited in an ancient ocean about 1.45 billion to 1.22 billion years ago. Reports said the rocks examined by researchers are known to be the oldest samples in Tasmania.
Jacqueline Halpin, the lead researcher from the University of Tasmania's Centre of Excellence in Ore Deposits, said the results of the study served as "a strong genetic fingerprint and evidence" that the Rocky Cape in Tasmania was once connected with some parts of the U.S. and Canada known as the Belt-Purcell region.
Halpin said Tasmania and North America were to be part of Nuna which is a supercontinent that existed 1.3 billion years ago. Scientists believe the Nuna supercontinent broke into pieces of land and separated by tectonic plate movements. A "large sedimentary basin" had formed with the rocks from the Rocky Cape Group and the Belt-Purcell Supergroup.
The continuous breakup and drifting had led Nuna's parts to opposite sides of the Earth.
The study was published in the Precambrian Research journal. Aside from this conclusion, Dr Peter McGoldrick, who is a colleague of Halpin, said another discovery was made because of the sedimentary rocks. New mineral dates were recorded for the fossils of horodyskia which is a multi-cellular organism found in the Rocky Cape Group. According to reports, the fossils have also been discovered in the rocks found in the Belt-Purcell Group.
The researcher said the discovery is significant because the organism could be one of the oldest in the world.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Mars Unusual Feature: Alien Skull Buried In Martian Sand
- Seals In Antarctica Are Sexually Assaulting King Penguins
- Accidental Electrocution Makes 12-Year-Old Russian Boy ‘Magnetic’ Similar To X-Men Character
- Kid Discovers 100-million-year-old Marine Reptile Fossil
- Stephen Hawking's Facebook Posts Tell You How The Cosmologist Reacts To 'Theory Of Everything' And 'Interstellar'
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports