7 Prince George Facts You Didn't Know
By Diwata Arcilla | July 24, 2014 10:22 AM EST
Britain's Prince George had just turned one. Just a year ago the entire world waited with bated breath for the birth of Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge's first child. A year later and the world still can't get enough of this little tyke.
Britain's Prince George is seen ahead of his first birthday during a visit to the Sensational Butterflies exhibition at the Natural History Museum in London July 2, 2014. Prince George turns one on July 22, 2014.
1. Prince George is third in line to British throne.
Prince George Alexander Louis of Cambridge is third in line to the British throne after his father, Prince William, and grandfather, Prince Charles. His birth also marked the first time that all three generations of direct heirs are all alive at the same time.
Prince George will be known as George VII once he ascends the throne. There have been six King Georges the most recent being Queen Elizabeth II's father who died in 1952.
2. Prince George was born in the same hospital as where his father and uncle were born.
Prince George was born at St. Mary's Hospital on July 22, 2013 at 4:24 p.m. On June 21, 1983, Princess Diana gave birth to Prince William and to Prince Harry a year later at the same hospital.
3. Prince George is a cusp baby, just like Prince William.
4. Prince George's birth was first announced through email and social media
The birth of the baby prince was planned to be announced on an easel in Buckingham Palace following royal tradition. However, before the formal announcement made it to Buckingham Palace, the news was released to the media through an emailed press release.
5. Prince George spent his first days outside a palace.
Unlike royal tradition that dictates royal newborns to spend their first few days within palace walls, Prince George spent his early days in the Middleton family home in Bucklebury. The Middleton 18-acre family estate provided the Cambridge's the privacy and security they needed while they cope with the birth of the third in line to the British throne.
6. Prince George had seven godparents.
Prince George was christened on October 23 in the Chapel Royal at St. James Palace. While the ceremony was kept small and private, some traditions were kept such as the holy water from the River Jordan and the lily font created by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.
His parents also chose the baby's godparents from their closest friends and family members, including Zara Tindall, Prince William's cousin and daughter of Princess Anne; Prince William and Catherine's friends Oliver Baker, William van Cutsem and Emilia Jardine-Paterson; Julia Samuel, a good friend of Prince William's late mother; the couple's former secretary, Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton and the son of the Duke of Westminster, Earl Grosvenor.
The location also has a special meaning for Prince William as this was where Princess Diana's body rested for five days before her funeral in 1997.
7. Prince George has a nanny-cum-bodyguard.
In addition to basic child care, Prince George's nanny is also trained in self-defense. She has to be able to protect the future king from threats anywhere from kidnapping attempts to unrelenting paparazzis.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
Join the Conversation
- Joan Rivers Left $150 Million Legacy To Her Only Child, Care For Her Four Pooches Included In Her Will
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- Kendall Jenner Distances Self From The Kardashians, Prefers Kim Kardashian West To Be Absent In Her Modelling Shows
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date