Boxing News 2014: Upper-Level Tickets to Mayweather-Maidana Sept 13 Rematch Selling at $562 in Secondary Market; Lower Prices Expected as Fight Date Approaches
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 24, 2014 7:55 AM EST
After Floyd Mayweather Jr officially announced that he will have a rematch with Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana on Sept 13, boxing fans immediately showed their interest in the second fight that ticket sales are moving fast, reported Forbes.
Jul 14, 2014; New York, NY, USA; Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Marcos Maidana (right) stare at each other during face off to promote their upcoming welterweight rematch during a press conf at Times Square. Mandatory Credit: Noah K. Murray-USA TODAY Sports
Based on the initial response, the magazine estimates that the ticket sales of the Sept 13 bout would likely match those of the May 3. It also noted that tickets on the secondary market are selling better than the first fight, but doubted if it would stay that way because the bout is barely two months away, which would further cut the prices of tickets as the date approaches.
An upper level seat currently sells at $562 in the secondary market, while lower level seats are selling at $1,664 and a floor seat $3,550. Official ticket prices are $1,600, $1,200, $850, $600 and $350.
In comparison, during the May 3 bout, the cheapest ticket on the secondary market was $359 for an upper seat, $797 for lower level, while the average ticket price then was $1,385, lower by $140 from the current average ticket price of $1,525.
Forbes pointed out that while tickets for Sept 13 are more expensive than those on May 3, trends indicate it would go down to the same level as Sept 13 approaches.
The tickets started selling on July 14.The venue is still MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada, after Mayweather had second thoughts about securing a promoter licence in New York because it could expose him to tax issues like Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao, who is speculated to finally meet Money May in the dream match in May 2015.
Despite Maidana giving Mayweather a hard time during their May 3 bout, the unbeaten American boxer remains the bettors' favourite 8/1 to win over Maidana.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Women’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 - Li Na, Sharapova, Kvitova, And Williams
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manchester United News: Man Utd. vs QPR Preview
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date