Boxing News 2014: Upper-Level Tickets to Mayweather-Maidana Sept 13 Rematch Selling at $562 in Secondary Market; Lower Prices Expected as Fight Date Approaches
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 24, 2014 7:55 AM EST
After Floyd Mayweather Jr officially announced that he will have a rematch with Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana on Sept 13, boxing fans immediately showed their interest in the second fight that ticket sales are moving fast, reported Forbes.
Jul 14, 2014; New York, NY, USA; Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Marcos Maidana (right) stare at each other during face off to promote their upcoming welterweight rematch during a press conf at Times Square. Mandatory Credit: Noah K. Murray-USA TODAY Sports
Based on the initial response, the magazine estimates that the ticket sales of the Sept 13 bout would likely match those of the May 3. It also noted that tickets on the secondary market are selling better than the first fight, but doubted if it would stay that way because the bout is barely two months away, which would further cut the prices of tickets as the date approaches.
An upper level seat currently sells at $562 in the secondary market, while lower level seats are selling at $1,664 and a floor seat $3,550. Official ticket prices are $1,600, $1,200, $850, $600 and $350.
In comparison, during the May 3 bout, the cheapest ticket on the secondary market was $359 for an upper seat, $797 for lower level, while the average ticket price then was $1,385, lower by $140 from the current average ticket price of $1,525.
Forbes pointed out that while tickets for Sept 13 are more expensive than those on May 3, trends indicate it would go down to the same level as Sept 13 approaches.
The tickets started selling on July 14.The venue is still MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada, after Mayweather had second thoughts about securing a promoter licence in New York because it could expose him to tax issues like Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao, who is speculated to finally meet Money May in the dream match in May 2015.
Despite Maidana giving Mayweather a hard time during their May 3 bout, the unbeaten American boxer remains the bettors' favourite 8/1 to win over Maidana.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS