Boxing News 2014: Upper-Level Tickets to Mayweather-Maidana Sept 13 Rematch Selling at $562 in Secondary Market; Lower Prices Expected as Fight Date Approaches
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 24, 2014 7:55 AM EST
After Floyd Mayweather Jr officially announced that he will have a rematch with Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana on Sept 13, boxing fans immediately showed their interest in the second fight that ticket sales are moving fast, reported Forbes.
Jul 14, 2014; New York, NY, USA; Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Marcos Maidana (right) stare at each other during face off to promote their upcoming welterweight rematch during a press conf at Times Square. Mandatory Credit: Noah K. Murray-USA TODAY Sports
Based on the initial response, the magazine estimates that the ticket sales of the Sept 13 bout would likely match those of the May 3. It also noted that tickets on the secondary market are selling better than the first fight, but doubted if it would stay that way because the bout is barely two months away, which would further cut the prices of tickets as the date approaches.
An upper level seat currently sells at $562 in the secondary market, while lower level seats are selling at $1,664 and a floor seat $3,550. Official ticket prices are $1,600, $1,200, $850, $600 and $350.
In comparison, during the May 3 bout, the cheapest ticket on the secondary market was $359 for an upper seat, $797 for lower level, while the average ticket price then was $1,385, lower by $140 from the current average ticket price of $1,525.
Forbes pointed out that while tickets for Sept 13 are more expensive than those on May 3, trends indicate it would go down to the same level as Sept 13 approaches.
The tickets started selling on July 14.The venue is still MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada, after Mayweather had second thoughts about securing a promoter licence in New York because it could expose him to tax issues like Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao, who is speculated to finally meet Money May in the dream match in May 2015.
Despite Maidana giving Mayweather a hard time during their May 3 bout, the unbeaten American boxer remains the bettors' favourite 8/1 to win over Maidana.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage