Boxing News 2014: Upper-Level Tickets to Mayweather-Maidana Sept 13 Rematch Selling at $562 in Secondary Market; Lower Prices Expected as Fight Date Approaches
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 24, 2014 7:55 AM EST
After Floyd Mayweather Jr officially announced that he will have a rematch with Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana on Sept 13, boxing fans immediately showed their interest in the second fight that ticket sales are moving fast, reported Forbes.
Jul 14, 2014; New York, NY, USA; Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Marcos Maidana (right) stare at each other during face off to promote their upcoming welterweight rematch during a press conf at Times Square. Mandatory Credit: Noah K. Murray-USA TODAY Sports
Based on the initial response, the magazine estimates that the ticket sales of the Sept 13 bout would likely match those of the May 3. It also noted that tickets on the secondary market are selling better than the first fight, but doubted if it would stay that way because the bout is barely two months away, which would further cut the prices of tickets as the date approaches.
An upper level seat currently sells at $562 in the secondary market, while lower level seats are selling at $1,664 and a floor seat $3,550. Official ticket prices are $1,600, $1,200, $850, $600 and $350.
In comparison, during the May 3 bout, the cheapest ticket on the secondary market was $359 for an upper seat, $797 for lower level, while the average ticket price then was $1,385, lower by $140 from the current average ticket price of $1,525.
Forbes pointed out that while tickets for Sept 13 are more expensive than those on May 3, trends indicate it would go down to the same level as Sept 13 approaches.
The tickets started selling on July 14.The venue is still MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada, after Mayweather had second thoughts about securing a promoter licence in New York because it could expose him to tax issues like Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao, who is speculated to finally meet Money May in the dream match in May 2015.
Despite Maidana giving Mayweather a hard time during their May 3 bout, the unbeaten American boxer remains the bettors' favourite 8/1 to win over Maidana.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Wants To Talk To Manny Pacquiao About Super Fight If Filipino Beats Chris Algieri
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money