Manchester United Flop Anderson was Once 'Like Neymar,' Says Brazil Legend
By Mark Wayne Eubank | July 24, 2014 4:38 AM EST
Brazil legend Eduardo Gonçalves de Andrade, better known as Tostão, believes that Manchester United flop Anderson, whom he likened with FC Barcelona superstar Neymar, could have had his career soar to greater heights had he been disciplined enough at Old Trafford.
Manchester United's Anderson scores against Tottenham Hotspur during their English Premier League match in Manchester.
The 26-year-old midfielder had issues with his weight, as well as some off-pitch antics during Sir Alex Ferguson's term, which saw him fall down the pecking order in the Red Devils squad and never to recover again.
He came off as a promising 19-year-old from FC Porto in 2007, helping the Dragons clinch the domestic league title, while winning the Golden Ball in the Under-17 World Cup in 2005 after starring for runners-up Brazil.
"When [Brazilians] move to the Premier League, I think they become more disciplined, get to know the importance of the collective game and develop the tactical part," Tostão told FourFourTwo.
"The point is to learn all this without losing technique."
"If they cannot do this, it's their fault."
"Anderson is a classic case. If you remember him as a young player, he was pretty much like Neymar, but after playing there he became predictable."
"But he's the only one to blame for this. It's not down to the Premier League."
The 67-year-old even used the latest Ballon d'Or winner, Cristiano Ronaldo, as an example of a player with flair who was able to hone the technical aspect of his game in England, and use it to his advantage.
"Cristiano Ronaldo is not Brazilian but can be seen as a player who grew up tactically and developed his technique in England," he added.
"Anderson was skilful but didn't have great technique, the ability to apply his skills in a big game."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate