Manchester United Flop Anderson was Once 'Like Neymar,' Says Brazil Legend
By Mark Wayne Eubank | July 24, 2014 4:38 AM EST
Brazil legend Eduardo Gonçalves de Andrade, better known as Tostão, believes that Manchester United flop Anderson, whom he likened with FC Barcelona superstar Neymar, could have had his career soar to greater heights had he been disciplined enough at Old Trafford.
Manchester United's Anderson scores against Tottenham Hotspur during their English Premier League match in Manchester.
The 26-year-old midfielder had issues with his weight, as well as some off-pitch antics during Sir Alex Ferguson's term, which saw him fall down the pecking order in the Red Devils squad and never to recover again.
He came off as a promising 19-year-old from FC Porto in 2007, helping the Dragons clinch the domestic league title, while winning the Golden Ball in the Under-17 World Cup in 2005 after starring for runners-up Brazil.
"When [Brazilians] move to the Premier League, I think they become more disciplined, get to know the importance of the collective game and develop the tactical part," Tostão told FourFourTwo.
"The point is to learn all this without losing technique."
"If they cannot do this, it's their fault."
"Anderson is a classic case. If you remember him as a young player, he was pretty much like Neymar, but after playing there he became predictable."
"But he's the only one to blame for this. It's not down to the Premier League."
The 67-year-old even used the latest Ballon d'Or winner, Cristiano Ronaldo, as an example of a player with flair who was able to hone the technical aspect of his game in England, and use it to his advantage.
"Cristiano Ronaldo is not Brazilian but can be seen as a player who grew up tactically and developed his technique in England," he added.
"Anderson was skilful but didn't have great technique, the ability to apply his skills in a big game."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar