Manchester United Flop Anderson was Once 'Like Neymar,' Says Brazil Legend
By Mark Wayne Eubank | July 24, 2014 4:38 AM EST
Brazil legend Eduardo Gonçalves de Andrade, better known as Tostão, believes that Manchester United flop Anderson, whom he likened with FC Barcelona superstar Neymar, could have had his career soar to greater heights had he been disciplined enough at Old Trafford.
Manchester United's Anderson scores against Tottenham Hotspur during their English Premier League match in Manchester.
The 26-year-old midfielder had issues with his weight, as well as some off-pitch antics during Sir Alex Ferguson's term, which saw him fall down the pecking order in the Red Devils squad and never to recover again.
He came off as a promising 19-year-old from FC Porto in 2007, helping the Dragons clinch the domestic league title, while winning the Golden Ball in the Under-17 World Cup in 2005 after starring for runners-up Brazil.
"When [Brazilians] move to the Premier League, I think they become more disciplined, get to know the importance of the collective game and develop the tactical part," Tostão told FourFourTwo.
"The point is to learn all this without losing technique."
"If they cannot do this, it's their fault."
"Anderson is a classic case. If you remember him as a young player, he was pretty much like Neymar, but after playing there he became predictable."
"But he's the only one to blame for this. It's not down to the Premier League."
The 67-year-old even used the latest Ballon d'Or winner, Cristiano Ronaldo, as an example of a player with flair who was able to hone the technical aspect of his game in England, and use it to his advantage.
"Cristiano Ronaldo is not Brazilian but can be seen as a player who grew up tactically and developed his technique in England," he added.
"Anderson was skilful but didn't have great technique, the ability to apply his skills in a big game."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS