Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
By Rachelle Corpuz | July 24, 2014 2:00 AM EST
As the world continues to mourn for the family of the passengers aboard that Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17, another aviation disaster happened on July 23 near Magong Airport in Taiwan. A local flight in Taiwan crashed after it failed to make an emergency landing, killing 51 people and wounding seven, according to reports.
A report from the Associated Press said that TransAsia Airways was en route from the country's capital Taipei to Penghu Island. The flight was carrying a total of 58 passengers, 54 of which were passengers consisting of 50 adults and 4 children. In addition to the passengers aboard the plane, there were also four flight crew on the plane.
Taiwan was recently hit by Typhoon Matmo on early Tuesday morning and the plane was allegedly trying to make an emergency landing at Magong Airport before it crashed.
The Telegraph's Malcolm Moore who is in Beijing reported that the airplane was 72-seater jetliner TransAsia Flight GE222. It reportedly lost contact with air traffic controllers just after it took off. According to civil aviation chief Jean Shen, the situation at the crash site was "chaotic" when the fire fighters arrived at the scene.
Air Live Net was able to obtain exclusive photo from the crash site and posted it on Twitter.
TransAsia Airways is an airline based in Taiwan. Since its inception in 1951, it has been flying to Cambodia, China, Japan, Macau, Palau, South Korea, Thailand, as well as domestically. Previously, it has charter services to other Asian countries like the Philippines, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore. Its fleet consists of 23 aircrafts.
In December 2002, a TransAsia flight also crashed into the ocean killing crew members. A few months later, in March 2003, another TransAsia flight accident was recorded when it rammed a truck upon landing at the airport. Fortunately, no passengers were killed. The most recent accident is the third in a line of catastrophes that struck the airline company.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- New Zealanders in Australia Consider Moving Back to Home Country For Better Life
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]