Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
By Rachelle Corpuz | July 24, 2014 2:00 AM EST
As the world continues to mourn for the family of the passengers aboard that Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17, another aviation disaster happened on July 23 near Magong Airport in Taiwan. A local flight in Taiwan crashed after it failed to make an emergency landing, killing 51 people and wounding seven, according to reports.
A report from the Associated Press said that TransAsia Airways was en route from the country's capital Taipei to Penghu Island. The flight was carrying a total of 58 passengers, 54 of which were passengers consisting of 50 adults and 4 children. In addition to the passengers aboard the plane, there were also four flight crew on the plane.
Taiwan was recently hit by Typhoon Matmo on early Tuesday morning and the plane was allegedly trying to make an emergency landing at Magong Airport before it crashed.
The Telegraph's Malcolm Moore who is in Beijing reported that the airplane was 72-seater jetliner TransAsia Flight GE222. It reportedly lost contact with air traffic controllers just after it took off. According to civil aviation chief Jean Shen, the situation at the crash site was "chaotic" when the fire fighters arrived at the scene.
Air Live Net was able to obtain exclusive photo from the crash site and posted it on Twitter.
TransAsia Airways is an airline based in Taiwan. Since its inception in 1951, it has been flying to Cambodia, China, Japan, Macau, Palau, South Korea, Thailand, as well as domestically. Previously, it has charter services to other Asian countries like the Philippines, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore. Its fleet consists of 23 aircrafts.
In December 2002, a TransAsia flight also crashed into the ocean killing crew members. A few months later, in March 2003, another TransAsia flight accident was recorded when it rammed a truck upon landing at the airport. Fortunately, no passengers were killed. The most recent accident is the third in a line of catastrophes that struck the airline company.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS